Sign in to follow this  
shmerl

The Linux version of We Happy Few

I know you plan to release the Linux version of We Happy Few later than Windows one, but so far I didn't see much information on whether you are already working on it, or you only to plan to start working on it post Windows release.

I wanted to highlight one issue, that Unreal Engine has. Several games apparently were hit by it when trying to release Linux versions - it's related to UE translating shaders from HLSL to GLSL (or SPIR-V) for Linux. I.e. I suppose UE is using HLSL as the source for all platforms, and translates shaders to target shading languages / formats using some translation tools. The point is, that translation has some unresolved bugs, and for example Everspace hit them, and until today didn't manage to resolve them, therefore still delaying their Linux version. They had to turn to Epic, to help them fix shader translation issues (and this whole thing is still on-going).

See this thread for some details.

Where I'm leading this - it's better to discover such issues early, than much later and realize it can take a substantial effort to fix them. Working on shader language translating tools is not that easy if you aren't familiar with it, and waiting for Epic to do it makes your release dates unpredictable. And if you do need to turn to Epic for help, it's better to do it earlier, than later, because they can work on it in parallel with you doing other stuff, rather than you waiting for them post Windows release.

In general, expecting the Linux version to "just work" because Windows one does might be not a safe strategy. Do you already perform some periodic testing of We Happy Few on Linux, or you didn't even try doing it yet?

Hi shmerl,

Thanks for the information :)

We plan to release the Linux version on or shortly after the full 1.0 release, but as you stated porting/developing a game for another OS is not always a straightforward thing. Right now our focus is on making sure the core game is solid and once that's done we'll have a better idea of how how we can bring the game over to Mac/Linux, and the challenges which will come with that.

Cheers,

Lee

I hope you'll have enough time to figure all that out before the release and not hit some unexpected surprises late in the process.

I see in the latest update your programming team started working on UWP which wasn't even in the original campaign. I hope Linux testing will indeed get enough priority as well. Too many projects already failed because they didn't start testing in time.

Hey!

No worries, the reason we are doing UWP is because we have obligations with Microsoft to do so. Linux is still planned for the release :)

I would love to just walk in and talk to the people making this and watch some development hurdles and what not. I wish Game Companys had the time to be able to let people stop by and visit.

Will you post some development update when you'll begin working on the Linux version? We never got any of those updates before.

Now that Windows release is out, is there any rough ETA when Linux release will be ready?

Can you please provide some developer update about the progress of the Linux version? We got just one of those from Maarten and nothing since then.

Can you please provide at least a development progress update for the Linux version effort? It would be appropriate for many backers who are still waiting and are left without any info. I.e. what was already done, what remains, what new issues were encountered and etc.

Just got a strange e-mail from Compulsion:

Hooray! New digital content is available for We Happy Few - Welcome to Wellington Wells, you Saucy Minx.
  We Happy Few - Full Game - GOG
  GOG Season Pass Linux Released

I checked my game on GOG - no updates, let alone Linux version there. What's the story with that?

Edited by shmerl