Sign in to follow this  
SyAlmans

Performance report

Hey, so I've got my pre-alpha key but unfortunately I think my laptop isn't quite powerful enough even with the optimization. Specs and results are as follows.

Lenovo G505s Notebook

Processor: AMD Quad A10-5750M with Radeon HD Graphics 2.5GHz

Memory: 6GB

Hard Disk Drive: 1TB

On version 6.0 - Unplayable. Graphics lagged, Uncle Jack's audio files stutter badly. Very long world generation, followed by a lengthy black screen during which the clock continued to tick down and the audio file struggled to play out. When I tried to close the game I got a fatal error (hopefully generating a crash report).

On version 6.1 (graphics set to Low) - World generation much faster, nowhere near the length of time spent on a black screen. Uncle Jack's audio still stutters, though somewhat less. Trying to apply Resolution changes while in-game froze the game and required a hard shutdown.

When I restarted and set the resolution to absolute lowest it worked marginally better -- audio files barely stuttered and movement was a bit smoother (graphics do look shocking at this setting, but honestly graphics are at the low end of what I look for in a game). Unfortunately the game crashed as soon as I left the starting shelter and entered the Garden.

A bit bummed I can't play it, but hopefully I'll be able to do so eventually.

ADDENDUM: I tried it a third time and got into the Garden district without crashing, though it was laggy so I didn't stay long enough to get beaten to death. I've noticed that Save works when you're in-game (I did it three times - starting shelter, Garden, Garden), but I tried Save and Quit and instead of returning me to the desktop it simply presents a black screen.

Hey @SyAlmans!

Can you tell us what Graphics card you are using? Right click your desktop, go to resolution, and advanced options, it should be at the top of the window.

Guillaume.

It looks like it's an AMD Radeon HD 8650G. (Sorry for not including that the first time; I have Windows 8.1, so the interface is terrible. And thanks for the Walkthrough For Tech Dummies, I definitely need it.)

(Also, I'm not sure what timezone you guys are in, but it's nearly 1 am here. Respect for the commitment.)

Hey Sy! Thanks for providing more information.

If you could check two things for me:

1. Check If you are running out of memory. You're a bit under our minimum specs (8GB of RAM), as that might slow down the build a lot if the game starts paging memory. You can check this by running in windowed mode, and starting the task manager while you are running the game.

2. If you could open the console (it's either backspace or tilda on the live build) and type "stat unit" - there should be 3 numbers that constantly update. If you could tell me roughly what they are when you start the game (before you start moving around), I'll have a better idea on if it is your processor or your graphics card that is causing the problem.

Guillaume.

Okay. Task Manager says it's running about 99% Disk Space, 88% Memory, 28% CPU. So I'd guess there's a memory issue, which I guess means I may be out of luck unless I can afford an upgrade.

Stat Unit fluctuates rapidly, but the approximate ranges are:

Frame: 134 - 168

Game: 132 - 161

Draw: 64 - 90

GPU: 140 - 187

By the way, the Save function appears to be working - I loaded my save file and location and items seem in order.

Hmmm. No - you're running low on memory, but my guess is that you're doing fine there.

You should probably make some space on that hard drive though =). You can set the resolution on the command line - that may help your performance problems quite a bit. Since this seems to be crashing in-game for you, you can enable it on the command line by right-clicking the game on steam, and in launch options add the following options:

-ResX 1280 -ResY 720

Let me know if those "stat unit" go down as a result (you can also try -ResX 1024 -ResY 768 if you don't have a wide screen or really want to get a bit more frames). As for timeframes - yes, it is 2:28AM here, so I'm going to go to bed ;). I'll take a peek at your results in the morning.

Guillaume.

Okay, I implemented the resolution change through Steam and this is what I get while stationary at the start of a new world:

Frame: 59 - 107

Game: 52 - 102

Draw: 32 - 52

GPU: 50 - 76

It's still a bit choppy and of course combat is instant death with a low FPS, but it definitely works better than it did -- enough that I could explore the Garden and appreciate some of the posters, graffiti, what looked like a shrine, and my personal favorite, the giant rabbit in a top hat. Really cool stuff. It's possible I'll just wander around until it's optimized enough to play for real.

Thanks for your help!

I definitely wouldn't recommend using laptops yet unless they're really powerful. Most people (including myself) are experiencing strong lag spikes and a lot of dropped frames.

Some things to speed up computers:

-Running an anti-virus to make sure you do not have any viruses slowing your computer. (The obvious)

-Have at least 20 GB free in your hard drive.

-Make sure to keep as many background processes and/or programs off as possible. For Example, Spotify has a webhelper process that stays open and running even when Spotify has been properly closed. You can find all of these processes by hitting "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" then going to task manager then processes. Make sure to close out Task manager when you are done though, it takes up quite a bit of RAM itself.

Most computers also have arrows pointing upwards on their bar on the bottom-right of their screen where if you click it, some icons should pop up. Say you have an Nvidia Graphics card, "Nvidia GeForce Experience" may pop up. Some of these programs do not need to be opened and can be closed by right clicking the icon and hitting exit. If it doesn't have that option, leave it alone. :P

-Cloud25XD, not a mod, just a player, programmer, and somebody who spends way too much time on their computer.

Haha, yeah, unfortunately my laptop is my most powerful machine right now - I got my current desktop because it was deemed too old by a non-for-profit organization, which I think says it all about my financial status. :)

I'll see what else I can eliminate tomorrow when I'm not quite as absorbed; not using any streaming services, I have very little installed on it besides Steam and antivirus software. Turning off the obnoxious Lenovo Solution Center would be helpful. Uninstalled a couple Steam games already, for what little good that would do.