Sign in to follow this  
xerxziez

Bobby Upgrade?

I really love how once you enter Wellington Wells you're greeted with the new threat of Bobbies, but lately while i'm just goofing around in the game i discovered that escaping them is pretty easy by climbing things like short walls and cars and they can't do anything about it. Wellies however can throw rocks at me, which now means i'm actually a bit more wary of wellies rather than Bobbies since they're more difficult to escape.

So i was thinking that maybe Bobbies should get an upgrade so that they're more formidable?

I think the Bobby baton is the perfect iconic weapon though and giving them a secondary projectile weapon might not suit them, so i was thinking rather than that, they could have the ability to climb, giving them further access to areas Wellies wouldnt be able to follow? i think that could make them more intimidating and inescapable.

yeah, but my current problen is that i can literally climb a short wall and the Bobby just stands there a little lost and confused, which is funny and somewhat adorable, but it kind of takes the adrenaline and excitement out of the gameplay. The same kind of adrenaline you get when you first encounter bobbies in the opening cutscene, where they seem truely threatening in how they pursue the player.

I see what you mean, the trouble is without the ability to run away from them if you are not armed appropriately you would die in every encounter. Maybe their behaviour is a symptom of the drug - they forget what they are doing or looking for? Thats what Joy is meant to do after all - make you forget.

Well i find the main thing with Bobbies is that you are much quicker than them, and compared to Wellies, they lose track of you quicker (for instance one time i was being chased by a mob of both Wellies and Bobbies, and i ran far into an open field, i turned to see if i had lost them and saw that while the Wellies were running from a far distance directly towards me, the Bobbies had stopped and were looking around yelling "where'd he go???" ) This means you can always outrun a Bobby and i think that feature should stay, i just think that in close range a Bobby shouldnt really be helpless when all thats stopping them is a short wall.

Also i was thinking about possible bugs that could be caused by NPCs who can climb, my main worry is that if the player is witnessed climbing, the Wellies get suspicious, so they might end up turning on an NPC if they have the ability to climb, also i can imagine we might see a lot of Bobbies just standing on walls and other climbable objects idley which wouldnt seem right and would unimmerse the player a bit, so i was thinking instead of giving them the same kind of climbing mechanics the player has, they instead have a seperate animation that has them vault over the obstacle all together with no lingering on the object like the player can. kind of like the fence hopping in Hot Fuzz. And in instances where the player is just standing on the object, the Bobbies could have the ability to pull them off the wall or something.