Sign in to follow this  
Naila

Update #6.1: New Menu, Saved Games, and Performance Updates

Greetings everyone! It IS a lovely day for it.

Update 6.1 is a small update that focuses predominantly on technical improvements, rather than content/gameplay updates. In no particular order, here is this week’s changelist:

The new main menu is in! Specifically:

We have a shiny new main menu. No more will you suffer the stock Unreal menu with all of its click-related annoyances. Some of you may recognise that background scene from somewhere…

Thanks to this, we have a range of new options for you to play with. We will be adding more over time.

Rebindable controls are in! For those of you with different control scheme preferences, we would love to hear your experience with this system.

Better loading screen.

Please be aware that we have not implemented full main menu support for controllers. In-game a controller still works a-okay, but you may need a mouse/keyboard to get started. Yes, we will fix this later.

Saved games are implemented! Some notes:

You can now save your game! This means you can quit the game and return later to where you left off.

This is the first public pass of our saved game implementation, and it is definitely not fully bug-free. We want to hear about any issues you have with this system.

Automatic crash reporting:

We now have an automatic crash reporting system, which will run if the game crashes while you are playing. It will give you the option to upload to us a bunch of data about the crash, which will help us figure out a solution. It would help us greatly if you could click Yes if and when you crash but, of course, there is no obligation to do so.

This won’t include any personal information about you, but it may include some technical information about your PC.

Audio:

New suspicion and combat music! We wanted to make sure this music was a little bit more sinister and more appropriate for the time period, so you’ll hear electronic instruments from the 1960s and a darker, creepier edge to the melodies/harmonies.

New Wastrel barks! The Wastrels now talk as they always should have, and don’t just repeat random Wellie sayings.

Art:

We have updated the art in the Garden District with slightly improved buildings, props and signage.

We have added height variation to the Garden District - so things should be a little less flat.

Performance improvements:

We have spent a good amount of time improving the performance profile/framerate for users on the “low” quality setting. If you are having trouble running the build at a decent framerate, please try adjusting these quality settings. We are still interested in hearing about how the game is running on various PCs, so if you’d like to help us out, please post this feedback on our forums.

We have done some work on improving the load times when the build is generating.

A vast array of technical fixes have been implemented.

And, as always, there are probably a few other changes that we have missed. We hope you enjoy the improvements!

xoxo

Edit by Sam: Just to confirm, Update 6.1 is live on Steam! For everyone on the "preview" build, we recommended changing back to the default branch just so you don't end up with an unstable version in a week or so.

• Like 1

has anyone else had trouble with this- Possible spoiler if you haven't gotten very far in the game . Where the cop is banging on the door, you sneak in and open the door at the end to get that important tool. Well I put the two power cells in and the cage lock doesn't drop down enough for me to enter and go in, so I couldn't get the tool. Am I missing some other step or did it just glitch?

@Z3K0N15 All our Kickstarter pre-alpha keys have been sent out! The slacker backer keys will take a few days to come out, as we're waiting on codes. If you backed during Kickstarter, then please check your spam (and promotion, if you use Gmail) folders.

@Nikkib231 Sounds like a possible glitch - did you put the power cells in both consoles?

someone who messed around with key bindings here

- i tried to rebind my crouch toggle to tab, it kept bringing up the item menu instead so i had to rebind it back to C

- i tried to rebind the secondary action (V) to R, which worked! nice

- i couldn't find a way to rebind the escape to close the search menus, which is a shame. i feel like hitting ESC is very uncomfortable/unintuitive and i'd rather it be Q. is this something i could change in the configs?

also, lighting/volume/mouse sensitivity options would be nice to have again

oops the images aren't showing for some reason,here are the links.Maybe it's because payment got taken a few days after the KS ended.My card was blocked because I lost it and I had to get a new one sent.Luckily It got there just in time.

http://puu.sh/iVVUa/fc849a198d.png

http://puu.sh/iVVQl/4ffa9e018a.jpg

http://puu.sh/iVVOY/ed9071ba61.png

http://puu.sh/iVVNn/51e9e545ac.png

So there's a kind of bad thing with save games and possibly you have done it on purpose, but it sure as hell has pissed me right off.

When I die, my save game is gone. The whole point of save games is to allow for trial and error without doing the same things over and over.

Especially for someone like me who wants to play a perfect game, this is a huge pain.

Don't know if it's intentional to make people restart completely any time they die... but if not, same as MattyMatt, I died after a few hours of gameplay and despite having saved 5 minutes earlier, I only had the option of "New Game" when the menu reloaded.

As dash has pointed out it is a rogue like I would say the save games are there for continuing if you need to get off the computer? (Just my assumption as alot of rogue likes do this)

Which I am personally fine with as that's part of the fun with this game it's always different every play through.

We were put under no illusion what this game would be like they even said in their kickstarter video that you would die and die alot and as such have to restart over.

In my opinion it's a great type of game very fun and will only get better, I for one am very excited about the future for this title. :D

Some things for the dev team (submitting things now, before the game project will ever get gold status :) ) :

While player WHF Alpha 6.1:

- When i rebind keys (having a EU AZERTY keyboard), i use E to walk forward. When searching a body or object i have the option to 'take all items'. This also uses the E key. Why can't i rebind the key for 'take all items', or is the in-game menu item not displaying the current assigned key bind?

- When switching alt-tab and re-enter the game menu, i got black blocks on the upper edge of my screen .

- You should also consider adding sfx volum adjust. I use usb speakers, that don't have a HW volume control, so when playing WHF i'm forced to alt-tab to change master volume. Many gamers will like this feature.

- you should consider performance tweaking options for people with lower spec Intel Graphics cards. Many users still have computers with Intel graphics cards. I tested on one of my Intel i5 Nuc's with HD6000. You can play, but fps is very low (tested on a 21" screen), so i had to lower the res to 1024x768 in order to get smooth performance. I can play Dishonored or Bioshock Infinite on the native res with medium settings an still got smooth graphics. Invest in some hardware with lower spec videocards and give the QA team some extra work :) You will get a wider audience playing the game.

@MattyMatt the game in a rogue like the save is for if you have to shutdown not to the re spawn but if you want to play mad the possibly you could have a backup of you save I don't know I have never tried it but it may work (unless the developers encrypted the game data)

Has anybody else had the safe houses be completely dark the after you leave the first time? Every time I go back into a safe house there is some light from sources inside but it doesn't really light anything outside the light sources immediate area. I even tried turning on the TV but no luck. I basically wander around till something highlights.

While I get that the game is a roguelike, but if you aren't able to do a quicksave that keeps after dying, then there is no point in have anything other than Save and Quit or Save and Main Menu. Having a Save game while also showing the other options might mislead people into thinking they have a safety net.

While I'm fine with restarting to test for bugs, if i'm trying to test in other areas, it would be nice to have at least one backup in case I do something stupid...

Thanks for the heads up on the save issue, folks. I agree, there should not be a "save game" option in the menu, it's entirely too confusing. The point of the save system is so that you can stop your game and quit, without losing your progress. It is not intended to allow you to save scum, as it breaks the design of the game ;) That's the whole deal with roguelikes - it's the minute to minute tense decision making that makes it special. We'll remove it.

Rebindable key options: thank you, great suggestions.

Audio options: they are coming.

@Suglasp performance options, we will add these over time, so people can customize beyond just low/med/high/ultra, but bear in mind that Intel cards really aren't very powerful. There is a limit to what we can do with this. In the meantime, I suggest using the Low quality settings.

@Tarune this is related to how we're lighting those areas. We're looking into it :)

@Z3K0N15 When did your payment go through? The cut off time for the keys was Thursday night, if your payment wasn't ready by then you will most probably be in the next batch of keys we send.

I have a GTX 760 2GB and I have to play on low but still only get 16-20 fps if that. Seems to be quite unoptimised atm but that's to be expected.

For now I've stopped playing as its painful to play at such low fps.

The reason you want to have the save while playing option is if the game crashes you can reload. Since it's still in the pre-alpha that isn't an uncommon occurrence.

@Seafort that's not optimization related, that's likely a bug. If you haven't yet posted on the support forums, I recommend you do so. However, I would wait until update 6.2, as we have a bunch of fixes in the works that may solve your issues.

@Tarune yes, unfortunately it's just too misleading right now. We'd prefer to try to deal with the crashes themselves than leave this option in.

So for the record, if you save and quit, then go back in and the game crashes before you die, your save from when you quit may still exist. I lucked out and only lost like 5-10 minutes of play when my game crashed.

@darthchewee thanks, although I think that's probably fair enough to keep in while there are still crashes from time to time :)