Sign in to follow this  
Mechgenius7532

A suggestion

Maybe you could try adding a currency? Like a shop for downers, or something like that. In the shop it could have a certain amount of items in stock, and it could raise and lower the prices of items in accordance to stock. Not only could it be handy to be able to buy materials that you need, but it would also give a little bit of purpose to useless items, like rotten apples. Another suggestion could be that, if you were to implement this idea, that you could add a bank of sorts. You would be able to store your currency in an area, so that you could take it out the next game. You could also add a cap to the bank like a starter of 250 or something like that. Then you could try adding an item that allows the cap to expand by 50 or something like that. Still, a currency would be handy in the game!

At the current state of the game, I don't think a shop for downers would make much sense as there really aren't any other downers running around (besides the one you can find being beaten.) From what I've seen though, there will be other downers that you meet where this might make a bit more sense.

PS: I was thinking rotten apples could be more fun if you could throw them at people like tomatoes at a play. ;P

i dont really think is a good idea, as a downer, you are a pariah, a criminal, it cant be a shop for downers because, in the very moment you chose to live as a downer, you are going to flee or die in a week, no shop can survive without customers, and a shop whose only potential customers are dead or miles away is a closed one, not mentioning the shopkeeper would olso flee or die soon

The bank is more of the same, in a few days your will be far or dead, nobody would open a bank, if they are willing to leave the city ASAP

I agree on the currency system seeming a bit out of place for a lot of already mentioned reasons...

However it was joked about in another thread about the idea of a Downer Black Market, so coming across a downer in the street at night who might trade you items for something they want (or however it'd work) could be pretty cool. No currency, but a trade system perhaps?

Something that might be useful would be the occasional random trader near a bridge that can trade for joy pills so you can cross without starting a riot. I was exploring for something like 40 minutes and while I accept my looting ability was impaired by low FPS that particular playthrough failed to generate pills in the shelter or any other joy resources I could find.

you can run like hell and lost your pursuers in ten seconds, i have crossed many bridges, and i was never on joy

Anyway, a trade market whould be less inapropiate, i suppose, but, even at risk of looking like a bastard, if downers come out at night full of loot, i became a more dangerous predator than the wellies, xD

I know you can run like hell normally (personally can't -- too lagged out at the moment, so when I flee I often end up crushed against a wall getting my ass kicked before I realize it), but some players favor stealth/pacifist runs. I also enjoy that the procedurally generated nature of the game means you may or may not find certain elements in any given playthrough, so it's not an element you could count on.

The idea of simply killing the trader IS kind of interesting though - to balance that I'd expect the trader to be better armed and/or have higher health, plus some bodyguards as befit someone trading illegal goods. That way you have the option of either trading peacefully or trying to murder everyone, depending on your mood and how much the guy's trying to gouge you.

bodyguards???

That will be 3 downers you put there, in a second, they are supposed to be extremely uncommon

I agree with you in the rest

I was thinking a trader would be in the Garden/starting area, where it'd be much more plausible to sell contraband . Bodyguards would probably be wastrels or anyone else desperate for a scrap.

Also, nothing says the trader would BE a downer -- if the Wellies' adherence to Joy has stripped their moral compass to the point they're happy to beat you to death for not taking your pills it doesn't seem like they'd have compunctions about free trade, especially if they were peddling Joy-tainted items outside the city limited, which after all are meant to be mandatory for all true citizens.