Sign in to follow this  
Uncannycory

Same Faces

I assume that there are a limited amount of npc skins because it's early in the game development, but i think its noticeable to me mostly because everyone is white? Great Britain has always had a large variance in ethnicities because of their colonialism, and that really didn't change much post ww2. Do you think we should be seeing a wider variety of npcs going forward? Do you think it will or won't be addressed?

Also I saw another discussion about this, but the lack of children is a bit unnerving as well, especially since in the Garden District there is always the wastrel saying " Tiny toys and tiny beds...."

I don't know, any opinions?

Regarding your first point - there already are skin colour variants in the game. As for why most people are white - well, most people in the UK are, aren't they? According to Wikipedia, nowadays about 12% of UK population is non-white, and back in the sixties it was closer to 4%. Besides, in the game's world German occupation of Britain was far more successful than in real life, and while the devs stated that the Germans in-game aren't Nazis, their attitude towards ethnic minorities still remains a mystery.

As for your second point - the lack of kids is plot-related and will, most likely, be explained in the release version.

I think the data on the current non white population in britain is probably outdated, especially since they've had a huge flux of migration within the last couple years. To say the least, unless there was severe ethnic cleansing, it wouldn't be too far out to see people of color in the game. though the game is basically loosely related to real life history, it has enough fantastical elements that it really wouldn't be too far out of reach to add some non white people into the game. I feel the excuse of real life is shallow at best when we have our characters popping a completely mind altering substance.

Unless they bring it up as a plot point, which I would find interesting, if a bit poorly timed.

The children thing is cool though! I didn't know if it was on purpose or from lack of implementation. I just found it rather startling t hat all these people were talking about children and there wasnt one to be seen.

As I said, there already are dark-skinned NPCs in the game - just walk around the village (or watch a walkthrough or look at screenshots if you don't have the game), you'll see them.

On the contrary, I find the "it's not a 100% copy of real life, so everything is possible" excuse shallow, since it raises a whole new slew of arguments. First of all, it seems to equate non-white people with fantasy creatures, which is, IMO, rather iffy. Second - would the opposite be OK? Like, if somebody were to make a game set in Somalia, have magic exist in game's world and then make considerable amount of cast white, because if magic exists, why can't a sizeable white population of Somalia? Third - the question of race aside - this attitude throws worldbuilding down the drain. You could argue that our protagonist should be able to just blow up the entire population of Wellington Welles with his mind, hop on his trusty neon-pink manticore-dragon-pegasus-chupacabra and fly off to his space station to have a celebratory party with some Martian babes, since it would be as realistic as the extremely effective mind-altering drug.

They do exist in game, but not in large numbers. BonBon has found one and posted an image over on the screenshot thread, if you would like to see for yourself. @Zhuzha has already stated historical records, and this is why it is unlikely such a large population of a 1960s British town would be of African decent. Yes, it's not real life. Sure, they could make the entire town of a predominantly white country dark-skinned and chalk it up to the "magic of fantasy world"but how would that make sense? A year ago there used to not be any dark-skinned NPCs within the game world. So the diversity has already been made more, well, diverse. Wellington Wells may be fictional, but the country it resides in is still real. It may be an alternate timeline, but keep in mind that even before the events of the alternate timeline took place the history of the world the game inhabits would most likely remain unchanged.

And who knows? The same reason we cannot discuss the absence of children could be the same reason certain aspects of diversity cannot be openly discussed. Much of the narrative is, and will remain, a secret until 1.0. What's not to say Alex hasn't included some dark-skinned or African characters that we aren't allowed to know about yet, eh?

I'll say what I always do with this: South England is still white.

back then it was *way whiter*.

Hell growing in the south-west in the 1990s I didn't see someone who wasn't white until I was about 13/14 and even then it was one person thanks to a foreign exchange.