Sign in to follow this  
The_Imperialist

A question.

I had this question on my mind ever since I watched the 15 minutes of gameplay posted by you nice folk. What is the difference between Wellies and Wastrels lore wise? Why do the Wellies where masks while the Wastrels don't? Why do the Wastrels live in, well, The Wastes instead of the town? Were they forced there or can't simply afford to live anywhere else?

• Like 1

I understood it in a way that Wastrels are already so strongly affected by drugs that they can't even keep any orderly appearance and therefore Wellies segregated them into separate zone in order not to disturb the "happy" mood. With that dynamic probably more and more people end up as Wastrels eventually. That's just my guess, may be authors had something else in mind :)

See, I always saw it as Wastrels were the ones who got affected badly by the drugs. All drugs have side effects and often than not that comes with depression and side effects that lead to you being unable to properly care for yourself. And when you're sad, you crave happiness even more which would explain their obsession with taking joy still (not to mention the side-effects still don't negate the addictiveness).

Whenever you see a Wastrel in their hovel they're often curled up and kneeling on the floor, which is a really common position for those dealing with bad trips and psychological breakdowns. Another action usually taken in that sort of situation is repeating your thoughts out loud, so often just one phrase; they do this quite a lot ('Time for Tea! TIME FOR TEA!'), where-as the Wellies are often more refined with and say their phrases only once.

Drug side-effects can really ruin lives, and no-doubt the Wellies wouldn't want that in their little Utopia. Throwing them into the wastelands is only going to catalyst the effects since it's a horribly unsterilised place with no mental/moral support and a ton of people in a similar, dangerous mindset.

At least that's always been my take on them. There's a sadness with them that I just can't see being an 'over-happy'.

You guys are both right. The Wastrels are the people in Wellington Wells that Joy affects badly. For some of them, this makes them withdrawn, psychotic, etc. They are deeply sad. They stay segregated from the Wellies, because the two groups just do not get along. Don't mistake a Wastrel for a Downer though... while wastrels are mostly Downers, not all Downers are Wastrels. @Alex might be able to answer a little bit more.

However, the voices in the build are actually stand-ins. We'll have new Wastrel voices in either this update, or the next, depending on whether Marc has time to implement them. So that'll give you a bit more of an idea of what they're about :)