Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Random Encounters

Haven't seen any bombed-out schools. They would have cloth, purified water, charcoal, maybe a school-only weapon. A book perhaps- nice and heavy. Or erasers that leave a cloud of confusion/cough-inducing chalk dust allowing you to get away in a fight. The teacher's desk could have confiscated items. Wallet chains, mechanical parts, not sure what else? Maybe a paper airplane that the Wellies and/or Wastrels freak out over and chase/focus on for a long period of time if you throw it (distraction to get away if they are after you or so you can loot their stuff in the houses).

A creepier version of the Town playground in the garden. With creaking swings/merry-go-rounds and overgrown toys. The Wastrels could be angry if you play on it and pull aggro, contrasting the suspicion-clearing of town (depending on story line). Could be on school grounds.

I really like the idea of being able to sneak into a tailor shop for clothes, dapper hats, sewing kits, and cloth. Sweets shop could have candy (with or without Joy), honey, and dried fruit. Pet stores could have cloth, chemicals, canned pet food (barely edible, but better than rotten food- no Joy), dog chains. General store- any random thing, good weapons like pipes and shovels- maybe a plunger. Chemist- just like a really big medicine cabinet, but lots and lots of Joy.

@ceruleanspiral I love the idea of bombed out/abandoned schools that the Wellies are just a bit oversensitive about. I want to loot one and get a yardstick to beat my foes with. This would also be a cool place to have more lore building about the children which seems to have everyone fascinated right now.

So I realize that I'm contributing to digging up an ancient thread here but there are some awesome ideas on here, I want to keep this rolling!

I would love to take part in a rousing game of Duck, Duck, Downer! (goose) where we can sit in a circle with our fellow joy filled wellies. There would be one going around the outside (duck, duck, duck, duck, duck...) and when he came to the Downer (randomly picked, or player after they sit down) everybody jumps up and beats the downer to death. What fun! As for rewards... Isn't getting to play this wonderful game reward enough on its own? It could be an achievement, or there could be an item in the middle that they are playing around... a TV with Jack like the shrine in the Garden perhaps?

For one of the possible bridge crossing scenarios there could be a platoon on Bobbies making a giant corpse pile in the middle of the bridge to keep out/dissuade the downers from trying to come over. I'm imagining one that's big enough to mostly block the bridge with a Bobbie standing on each side and perhaps a couple more dragging downer corpses around to add to the pile.

Joy checkpoints! Kind of like drunk driving check points except they are making sure that you are at or above your legal minimum of Joy! It would be triggered if the player got close enough to be noticed and if they try to run away they would instantly trigger a Bobbie chase. If they submit to the check point they would have to use a breathalyzer or similar device that would tell the Bobbie their joy level. If the player passes the test they can be given some rations that any good Wellie needs, if not... well we all know what needs to be done with downers don't we?

That's all for now, have a Joyfull day everyone!

I don't have an actual scenario to offer, but I would like to say this:

Right now the game is very heavily leaned towards violence, or otherwise vilifying and harming the citizens of Wellington Wells. I actually feel really bad for them-- especially the Wastrels-- and I'd like more opportunities to improve life for the citizens, not rob the already starving Wastrels, or just.. more instances of kindness in general in the game?

Thanks everyone for your input!

It's really appreciated, I had time to read all of you, and there are some awesome ideas in there!

I've just been focusing a lot on testing, bug fixes, optimization, balancing, progression in these past few weeks.

I'll soon have time to add a crapton more random encounters and more variations, etc.

@djkid I know right, I feel also so bad for those poor Wastrel's souls too, so that's probably one of the first thing I'll tackle in the Gardens.

I have some ideas for random encounters. Here they are:

o Wastrel camp; a tent with some loot around it, maybe a fire;

o Wastrel shop; on the village side of the joy detector, there are some tables with masks, joy pills, clothes, etc.

o Baloon seller;

o Downer classes; in the new village square some wellies are listening to Uncle Jack talking about downers, and maybe a wellie excursion into the garden district, where houses have simply been given larger windows;

o Wastrel meeting; Like the Downer classes, some Wastrels are listening to the radio in/behind a house; a map on the table; maybe if you interact you can complete their map/ fill yours...

o Nothing related to encounters, Bobbies now have the option ''Ask for help'', you can press V and he will follow you until you say something like '' There they are '', or '' get them all '' P.S.:Is the free facebook key still avalable?

o A make your own toy thing, wellies are making their own toys, some broken/wastrel toys are stockpiled next to them

That's all I have for now,

Have a good day!

Could be garden or village I suppose and I know you said in the street but hear me out.

I was just think since there's so much ocean around maybe there could be a little group of wellies fishing off in a spot. Maybe they could have a table or cooler set up with some fish (Food source) they've caught and possibly a fillet knife or kitchen knife (Weapon).

Just an idea. :D