Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Random Encounters

Hi! Vince, Level Designer here.

So, as I'm working on implementing all kinds of random Encounters in the game (and I'll need a LOT), I thought I would start a discussion on the forums about it!

Encounters can spawn anywhere in a given area (island) on a road or in the wild/backyards.

Examples in the game right now: TV Altar, Feast, etc.

They must be:

- Biome specific: Garden, Village or City.

- Very small in dimension. It has to fit the width of a street at max.

- It has to have a risk vs reward. The tougher the enemies/challenge are, the better loot you will get.

- It has to make sense in the narrative.

- As simple as possible. I know an encounter with a whole cutscene with dialogues would be nice but... keep it stupid simple.

- ...Yet, interesting and mesmerizing.

Let your imaginations run wild, and you might even see some of your suggestions randomly popping in a future game update!

garden

-some downers kicking a ball or playing cricket on the remains of a pitch (maybe a bomb crater?)

-a rotten apple/mushroom store similar to the strange meat store

village

-a broken joy dispenser, maybe sealed off and cracked and full of joy pills everywhere

-a line of wellies waiting for their turn at a joy dispenser that might get suspicious/mad if they think you're trying to cut them in line. my gf came up with an idea for two versions of this actually: 1) a long long queue that spawns when you show up and will EVENTUALLY clear out and 2) a queue that never shrinks and has a body inside of the dispenser that falls out when you go to use it

-some bobbies bullying a sad looking bobby/wellie until they take their joy

-a coffee shop similar to the butcher shop (maybe a chemical station tucked in the back, or a safe under the counter) that fills up with wellies around tea time

-patty cake! the concept art of the scene is just so awesome, it would be neat to have it in-game, bloody corpse included :3c

city

-some bobbies chasing a wellie/wastrel and beating them

-a tv/radio repair shop full of things broadcasting Uncle Jack with security beams at the doors. could have a mechanical station in the back/upstairs

-a street vendor selling victory meat and coffee/tea/water

-a tailor/mask store patrolled by bobbies that could have suits on mannequins or sewing kits. maybe hats, if that's a feature that ends up being added to the game - i love me a game with hats

-chemical spill, find chemicals

Thanks for your post @dash!

Ahah yeah I have already prototyped some kind of NPC line-up, and It would be nice to make it functional and include it in an encounter, gotta love them Postal 2 line-ups xD

I like the wellies having a particular Tea Time and they would go into stores at that specific time, we don't have all the time of day mechanic implemented yet, but having specific time of days activities brings a whole new perspective to encounters and to NPC dynamic.

The whole shop ideas doesn't fit in the Encounters because it is in a building and encounters will spawn only on roads or wild areas, but I also thought of having little merchant stalls that could be set up in the streets, and there could be a whole bunch of different ones (and possibly Wellies lining up ehhehe)

Keep em' coming :)

Village(If that's the section with the little houses and the rainbow like streets)

- A box with purified water and food without joy lays all over the street protected by a few (3-5) bobbies because that's for downers.

- A street vendor is selling water with joy (Maybe one bobby)

- In an backyard there is a downer getting a beating (He is dead already) from the people with joy (3 people) maybe there is some food or water without joy.

Garden

- Some downers inspecting a gunned down german airplane from the WW2 and there are things like mechanical parts.

- A campfire in the middle of the street where some of the downers are sitting with some food.

City

- Maybe someone from outside of Wellington could be talking to some bobbys but he has good loot but looks like a normal wellie and doesn't like to fight.

That's everything I got hope you like some of them.

In the garden district, slightly-schizo wastrels talking to themselves -- sitting, chanting, singing nonsense songs (or slightly-eerie modified nursery rhymes!). Normal wastrel loot or less, I'd expect.

A wastrel writing on a wall -- maybe already covered entirely in marks so it's not odd that they draw forever and the wall doesn't change :-)

Groups of wellies stopping for games, like Red Rover or Ring a Round a Rosy or Dodgeball. There's already an eerie childlike feel to some of what they do and this would increase that.

A desperate downer or maybe a Wellie slipping into the back window of a house -- you're interrupting *another* burglar. Or the burglar can't get in and just hangs out, waits, tries the door, looks in the window, etc...

Wellie on the street starts to freak out from lack of joy, takes joy, runs around manically.

Wellie on the street walking off a joy overdose snatching at imaginary butterflies - bad at combat, little or no loot, doesn't notice you being off your meds.

@xiiMaRcLeoN

Unfortunately, everything in the village has Joy in it, so a merchant with un-Joyed food or water would not work... but I like the idea of having some of it on a downer in the city or in a secret downer stash! Or some kind of black market at night hehe...

A crashed airplane sounds like a really nice piece but that might take quite a bit of work though ;)

I love the tourist encounter, that could be real funny :D

@noahgibbs

Yes, a Wastrel using chalk on a wall would fit right in in the Gardens for sure! But what does it give the player in terms of gameplay? It could still be a "general" action the Wastrels do for an activity though, and we'll be needing quite a few of those too.

Really good stuff otherwise! Requires a fair amount of AI behavior work, but I'm sure we'll get around to that at some point and put some of those in!

Thanks guys!

Garden

• When you come across a downer unnoticed, they could be banging their head on the wall or something. Which would kinda set the mood for the area.

Village

• On the road could be a wellie who dropped his bottle of pills, and is eating the joy pills off the ground.

• People may offer you joy if you seem low.

City

• Through a window you can be able to see Uncle Jack make his show ;)

Some sort of jumble sale in the streets of Hamlyn, perhaps? Wellies giving away their wares. If you're on joy they're happy to give you whatever, but if you're not you've got to try and steal stuff. For one of those 'do I take my pill' choices.

Similar to the original Hamlyn scernario, there are Bobbys outside of a Wellie's house, staring up at a window where a Wastrel holds a Wellie hostage/is causing havoc/doing whatever a Wastrel would do. You have to find a way in and fix the situation. Perhaps the Bobby or the Wellie could reward you for helping?

Or maybe two Wastrels having a very loud fight over an object in the Garden District streets, which turns out to be some sort of weapon or useful item. Maybe try and dismantle the situation through distraction or straight up murder? ♥

Also seconding the idea of a Downer black market at night, because that sounds so cool.

How about a blue Police box that is occasionally randomly generated somewhere within Wellington Wells? When you get within sight of it inside a certain radius of it it will dematerialise with a distinctive noise giving a random technology drop. The box will only disappear when it can see you.

The skill comes in sneaking up on it such that it doesn't see you. So you might have to creep up on it using a building or furniture for cover. The closer you get before it sees you, the better the drop. If you get close enough to touch it before it vanishes, then you get the best quality drop and an achievement.

Obviously there's going to be some variation with the random nature of positioning within the level, but just finding it will give you something you can use, even if it's only a crafting component.

@arron

that sounds pretty cool. I'm sure it would fit right in the city district. Sneaking around when all those people are around sounds like a good challenge ;)

@Otherbuttons

ahah i really like your approach on how to resolve these encounters. I do have a "give something to an NPC" mechanic and you could defuse some situations by just giving them what they want. Good thinking!

Another idea that I had this afternoon is the idea of the "Watch Dog". This would be either a iconic police dog like an Alsatian or even the cutesy Collie like in 1960s Lassie.

I don't know whether this might work given the lore of WHF and the lack of animals and children, but this would be a sniffer dog released once there had been a Downer Breach at a higher level of alert. So if you'd attacked and neutralised Bobbies, you'd start seeing Watch Dogs in the environment looking for you. If real dogs aren't allowed, then a clunky 60s era dog robot could be employed. The feel of this adversary is along the lines of the CIA "Acoustic Kitty" that was supposed to spy on the Russians but failed. Imagine that, only with a dog and made by someone like Sir Clive SInclair on the cheap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

The dog will patrol around a populated area looking for the player. It can patrol off paths and can enter/leave houses by open windows to locate the player. It can track by scent so if the player is spotted it can track them down following their recent path through the level. The player can run around in a circular path or jump off ruined buildings or out of upper floor windows to confuse the dog.

When it finds the player it will bark a lot to alert the local Bobbies whilst trying to keep out of player attack range.

The options for the player are to attack the dog which will probably send it into an attack frenzy making it a harder opponent to deal with. Or to collect several Victory Meat and heavily dose it with Joy pills through crafting. If a robot is used instead, then you could find wire coils and batteries to build powerful electromagnets to attach to the robot head as it sniffs around and scramble its brain.

The player then lays down a "minefield" of drugged meat/magnets along the player path which the dog will consume and suffer a joy overdose - removing the threat. There are limited numbers of Watch Dogs available & patrolling, so if you take them all out, then you get an achievement.

The payoff for the player in dealing with the dogs is that they have electronics to allow them to be tracked and these can be crafted into other technology like Downer Decoy Devices to distract human adversaries. So if you drop a device, hostile groups of wastrels or wellies will attack that instead for a few seconds giving you the chance to hide out of sight.

A Bobby taking contraband from a Wellie. Extra food, weapon, etc. Could get the contraband, but only by beating Wellie and/or Bobby.

Free Depression Clinic. Lots of Wellies and some Bobbies around a table or two, lots of Joy and pain pills (first aid kits?), maybe purple and red pills, empty syringes. You could fight or sneak table-to-table, but opponents would be hard and presumably swarm you if you weren't careful.

Old Lady Tea Party. Circle of old ladies at a small table, lots of tea, maybe rolling pins or sewing kit. Wellies and/or Bobbies nearby. Very hard to sneak in, fighting would have 5+ old ladies screaming. But you could Joy up, or run-in-loot-and-run-away.

How about at night a certain lit-up area has a huge mysterious Magician's Assistant looking shadow on a wall. It performs actions and you have to complete them in a Simon-Says fashion. The more you complete, the better reward flies out of the shadow, almost like it's from another dimension.~ 8P

Of course there's always the risk of Bobbys finding you at night too, so you have to be careful whilst copying.

Or of course, it could just be a nifty little Contrast-related achievement for finding it. ♥

Riot - City- dead wastrels laying around with bobbies around them/picking through them for contraband. The wastrels will have purified water, unjoyed food, and weapons on them.

Fellow Downer - Village - a wellie is acting sporadically, but is still managing to avoid getting the bobbies called on him. If you interact with him in some way he'll help you in some way (maybe by sharing map information) if you do he'll immediately run off to somewhere .But you can kill him without penalty if you choose and he'll be well armed, but have stuff similar to what you'd carry around (anti future devices, lock shocker, filtered water, ect.)

Trapped in the maze - bridge with Joy Maze - you'll find someone who got turned around and died from a never ending stream of joy. Even wellies who are use to joy can't be in there for more than a few minutes.

Village - A wellie is standing inside a house next to an open window. If he talks to the player and the player replies he/she will invite you in for tea and biscuits (if you take the joy pill he/she offers you when you get to the door). Could be a way for a player to get food and water if they're desperate. There could also be a random number of wellies in attendance for this little tea party.

Hey I just found a sickly little Wastrel in the city district and patched her up and fed her to get a nice key as a thank-you, that was adorable!

As for my suggestion... well, see, I'm thinking something spooky. Like a very rare event wherein sometimes an odd, ghostlike person just up and appears right in front of you. Doesn't do anything aggressive, doesn't attack, can't be attacked... they just stand there and stare. And smile. And stare some more. Always right in front of you. Then they disappear. No explanation offered anywhere and the event is rare enough that the average player will only see it once or twice. Instant pants-wetting and automatic social media exposure as people freak out over alleged spooky ghost hauntings.

If the game's lore doesn't allow for actual real-life ghosts, then all the better, since it can easily be justified as a consequence of severe mental stress on the part of the player character. Maybe it's cued with a really specific set of criteria, like: hasn't slept in X amount of days, is near-starving, has exactly this much Joy in system, experienced overdose X amount of times, etc. Then you hallucinate a staring smiley creep all up in your face. And naturally the player panics, swings their shovel, nothing happens, a passing Wellie sees them attacking thin air, raises the alarm, all hell breaks loose... and so on and so forth.

Also maybe very occasionally when you're looking at the ocean something can just sorta be hanging around out there? Like a weird boat or a sea monster or a deeply foreboding cloud, I dunno. Just a small yet unexpected enough detail to make you stop in your tracks and do a double-take, only to perhaps find it isn't there anymore. Seems easy enough to do and it'd up the paranoia/creepiness factor by a lot. Plus it'd be a good incentive not to rely on Joy too much if the stuff will eventually start to make unsettling things appear in the periphery.

Anyway so yes TL;DR maybe add some spooky stuff? And if there is already spooky stuff I haven't found yet then add some more cause man who doesn't dig some good spooks.

How about the Wellies have a little group street waltzing or dancing? Tea and biscuits on a table in the center.

Heck, the wastrels could do the same or instead.

Village - A single Welly or Bobbie begins that arm swinging walk (god that's awesome, who came up with that?) and another Welly or Bobby steps next to him and does it in time (along the lines of a musical where everyone and their mother jumps out of windows and boxes to join in the song). This continues until they have X number of people all walking together then they stop.

You can join in to lower suspicion of you. Approach the "line" of people walking and activate it and your character is automatically put in step with them. You lose control for however long it takes to complete it.

or

Use this distraction to break into an otherwise "secure" house.

Garden - A wastrel walking around carrying a poster of Uncle Jack on a board (protester march style) with a few Wastrels marching along behind. Can take out the crowd for an instant reward of standard items, or stealth behind/beside them until they reach their destination, possibly a small secret room/storage space with solid early-game rewards (sewing kit, chemicals, other hard to find objects) but have to fight them + a couple stragglers they left behind. If they notice you, they instantly attack and you get the standard reward items.

City - Small group of people warming themselves by a fire made up of Downer corpses (should be on the edges of the City). Occasionally one of them will add another corpse to the fire from a stack (3-4 bodies). The faster you take this group out, the more items you'll get from whatever corpses are leftover. No-joy food items, water, minor crafting materials.

Village - One of the little grandmother types is chasing a Wastrel down the street hitting him with a handbag. Will eventually kill him and stand there kicking the body a few times before heading about her business. Standard items on both NPCs. Other NPCs watch and applaud her actions as they move past. Have it end in a normally unpopulated place, behind the buildings, along the edges of the buildings by the water, etc...

Garden - A wastrel jumps/is pushed out a window/broken wall and lands at your feet, dead. If the player looks quick enough they catch a glimpse of another Downer stepping back. Small crafting item is left behind where the Downer was at when they ran.

Village - A water main breaks on one edge of the street causing a minor flood. If you're in a Construction suit you can "fix" the break and refill all of your empty water bottles. It has Joy in it of course though.

Village - Small group of people standing around watching Uncle Jack's show. Minor QTE event follows where you do specific button presses to play Simon Says with him. If you are successful, the group of people gives you stuff. If not, they attack you because you are bringing them down.

I love that you're seeking the communities ideas for random events and I am excited to add my two cents worth. I haven't read all of the suggestions above so I apologize for any overlapping ideas I might have. So here they are (prepare for TL;DR!):

Well Adjusted Citizen

Reward: Lots of pills + a strong weapon (or maybe a fancy suit?)

You’re wandering around the village and everything and everyone is just swell! You know something’s wrong, but you’re not about to look like a downer. But someone in the crowd stands out to you as strange–they look full of joy yet they’re acting a bit...off...you go to investigate him as he skips through the streets in his fancy suit. When you address him with your usual “lovely day for it” (that one always works!) he turns to you and his grin somehow becomes even wider. Suddenly he takes out a weapon and begins to attack you! No one seems to notice that he is hitting you (though they notice if you attack him back!) You lure him into an alley and after a difficult go at it you finally take down this maniac. He lays there with a smile still draped across his dead face. In his pockets you find joy. Lots of joy.

Notes: The Well Adjusted Citizen is a Wellie who is a bit too well. In the same way that you can go on a joy bender and wake up back in your shelter, ODing on joy can effect other people too–and in this case with dangerous results. This random event character wouldn’t be detected as a downer because he emanates joy and is wearing a dapper outfit (in the same way that the outfit protects you in social stealth).

The Breakdown

Reward: Distraction or Bobbie loot

Being a Bobbie is the most joyful thing imagine-able, isn’t it? Walking around the streets keeping citizens safe from those nasty downers! “But the hours are long...and, my god, are downers not people just as we are?” You over hear a Bobbie, who oddly enough isn’t walking the streets like the others. No, this Bobbie is standing in an alley...is he sobbing? He is. As you get closer you can hear him more clearly “Nobody appreciates me...” “The bodies...so many bodies...” “How many is it now? 5? 6?” Something is wrong with this Bobbie, you begin to suspect that he is a downer. Finally you get close enough to talk to him, but before you can speak he looks in your direction and begins talking to you: “End it for me! I don’t want to be a downer! I’m not a downer!” He looks at you intently and waits for your response. You could put this poor Bobbie out of his misery–he won’t resist. But there is still hope for him, isn’t there? He realizes you’re not going to save him from being down, so he runs back into the street manically, only to be beaten down by his fellow Bobbies and Wellies. At least they’re distracted by his sacrifice, now is your chance to escape or even do some burglering.

Notes: The downer Bobbie would be a pretty straight forward encounter–either you “help” him by putting him out of his misery and getting free Bobbie loot or you let him go, causing him to distract those in the street and give you a chance to break into a house or maybe just escape the area.

The VIP

Reward:

The usual sights and sounds of the streets in Wellington Wells floods your perceptions. Things seem normal (as normal as things can seem in town) but coming down the street, opposite of you, you see a troop of four Bobbies surrounding a peculiar woman. This woman isn’t like the common rabble, she's different, fancier. You stand by as the guards pass. You wonder to yourself “Who could that be?” Naturally you get closer to investigate–but alas, these Bobbies are even more perceptive than the others! They recognize you as a downer faster than a suspicious granny who you accidentally bumped into. Some chase you while the others stay with the dapper madam. You narrowly escape these strangely driven Bobbies and you’ll always wonder to yourself “Who was that lady, why was she so important?” But who knows, maybe, someday, you’ll find out?

Notes: The VIP could be anyone–honestly my mind is buzzing with a hundred ideas of what an important person could be. But whoever they are, they should be unique, have unique loot, and be a challenge for players if they are daring enough to find out.

You’re not on the guest list...

Reward: Food (and whatever the Wastrel’s drop for you)

You find yourself at a cross roads. You look around, there is nobody in sight. In the middle of the crossroads is what looks to be an abandoned picnic. You move closer to investigate and you find, on the ground, food! “That’s rare for these parts...” you think to yourself, and though the food is meager, it’s still the best food you’ve found out here. You bend over to pick up the assortment of food when you begin to hear chanting... “Your name isn’t on the guest list...” “I don’t think you were invited to this party...” “You’re not welcome here.” The chants build from a low monotone to more of a buzz–and you’re surrounded. Out of the houses came wastrels ready to pounce! Do you run? Do you fight? You’ll know soon enough because the Wastrels aren’t getting any further away...

Notes: The scale here is flexible–it could even just be a picnic out in front of a single house like the birthday event–but I love the idea of stumbling into a trap, especially an eerie one with chanting.

Garden or Village:

- Downer/s making graffiti or vandalizing a poster

There already is some street art on the walls, so it could be interesting to encounter someone actually making it. These also could be nice way to include some of the 'your name in the game' or even hide a bit creepyness to the game, for example: 'Always smiling, always happy... even in death'.

If you stumble across them and go too close, they maybe could aggro and start attacking you. Because they do not want to get caught by you, and if you beat them you could get some materials from them.

wow there are some really great ideas in this thread, i hope at least some of them make the final game