Sign in to follow this  
joysantiangel

The Art of Conforming?

So there are obvious ways to do this - pop a joy, don't run or crouch or pull out a weapon... but I was wondering if there were other things that might make conforming more contrived. How about a way to mimic speech or movement when you *aren't* on Joy? A way to make your arms swing, to fake a smile, to fake it til you get to a Joy trap and go "oh, drat."

This game is all about conforming - something I'm currently doing as a means of hiding in plain sight until my own personal glumness goes away. Why not make it more in depth, more purposeful, than simply popping a pill?

I realize these ideas have complications, but I'd really love to see "fake it til you make it" something more purposeful than popping a Joy.

Clothing makes a difference of course, but i'm sure you noticed that. When you aren't on joy talking to people keeps them from getting suspicious, so you are kind of faking it already.

Yeah but that seems a bit simplistic, especially if the character's whole point is to *not* be on Joy. It makes being on joy constantly in Wellington Wells because you're doing quests a bit...not true to self, I guess?

So far I have hardly taken joy at all. I have only taken it when I have needed it, for example when going through Downer Detectors.

I believe the devs are going to tweak the way Joy affects our characters so perhaps what you are suggesting will be part of that.

Haha, must be very trippy dreams. I just found out this discussion on game dreams.

I think a lot of players agree with you here, i sure do. But its a long process, its all WIP. We'll see gameplay get deeper as all ideas are sorted out and all mechanics are introduced. Cheers.

Yeah, I have night terrors, so this just seems logical it'd pop up in my dreams. If you've never woken up with one of the Bobbies standing over you, you're a lucky duck ;)

And I do realize it's a WIP, I'm definitely not demanding anything. It's more a "I think it would be cool if..." kind of discussion post. I'm also pretty aware that some of what I suggested could be a right pain in the ass to mix in. For example, I play console, so I have no clue how they could institute that detailed level of sneaking with so few buttons. Just scheming, I think!

Damn, thats rough. Night terrors are problably one the scariest things aknowledged by science. Ive seen a documentary on netflix about it, but if you already have these i dont think its a good idea to watch.

And its important to throw your ideas, thats why we are here right :) I just mean you dont have to worry, i doubt its gonna be as simple as tagging everyone with a hello.

About the controls, i dont think theres an issue, you can always add more controls even to a gamepad. I play Elite Dangerous on a gamepad, and theres a gazillion controls. It can get maybe too complicated (i love fiddling with control schemes so i dont mind, but im sure not everyone feels this way ^^), but its totally doable. Its like Y+up does one thing; Y+down another; B+Y another; B+left another. And so it goes.

I'm laughing maniacally. MUAHAHA Yes i love the combo idea haha. Also combos for murdering, why not? I love gamey things in videogames. I'm all up for stats, best times and max scores, specially in a rogue-like game as this one.

With that said, combos imply you'll have a visual indication of what you're doing, or else whats the fun in combos? Having an on-screen combo visual indicator would be distracting, and maybe even take some people completely out of the experience. For a lot of people, having as little ui as possible is very important for immersion.

Combos are most fun when they show up flashing on the screen with satisfying sound effects. I can't see that fitting in the mood here. It sounds perfect for Wellie Mode tho :D