Sign in to follow this  
dash

What's your favorite thing about the game so far? (#10162)

i've been watching as much gameplay of We Happy Few as i can get my hands on, and there's already so much to love about the game, whether it be art or mechanics or even glitches

as of patch 10162, what are your favorite things about the game?

my personal favorite is what my girlfriend calls the Wellies' "Emergency Heelies" - when the NPC wellies get spooked, occasionally they start to run away, and occasionally they take off at light speed and run right into the ocean. it's pretty great, and it makes us laugh every time even though it's something that will probably get fixed

we're both still blown away by the art and the music and the setting and the gameplay mechanics in the game already. seeing them add more and more to the world every patch is really neat

Maybe it's just that it's new, but... The atmosphere of the garden district. The blown-out, ruined but lived in homes with the graffiti all over. The combination of lived-in city and desolation without it being less of either one.

I've been watching gameplay too and I'm super excited to see how well I'll be surviving mostly ahaha!

I have to say I totally fell in love with Uncle Jack thanks to the Kickstarter and I do enjoy when someone takes the time to stop and listen to him while in gameplay whether it's through the radio or tv!

I totally can't wait to see how far I'll get (or rather how little! Hahaha!) before the Wellies figure out I'm a Downer trying to run away. xD

I very much enjoy the idea of combining items to make other items that can help us out on our adventure!

At the moment, I have to say the atmosphere/art.

My machine is tragically inferior and kept me from any serious play, but Guillaume did aid me enough that I could at least stroll around the Garden. Not being able to fight forced me to focus on the scenery, and it's beautiful. Even at the very worst graphical settings and resolution it looks far superior to some of the early streams I saw at the beginning of the Kickstarter. The chalk graffiti in particular is upsetting in the best possible way - and a particular propaganda poster gives rise to an entire forest of Epileptic Trees. I believe I also saw what might have been a small shrine or memorial, but it had visitors and I didn't want to be beaten to death.

And then there's the rabbit. It's probably a reference to the Mad Hatter's tea party, but I prefer to think that Mr. Topsy is simply attending a formal event.

The glitches. I adore the game, but some of the glitches are too funny.

• In update #5 I managed to glitch Mr Sideburns into a bridge and become a pair of angry floating arms.

• Wellies & Wastrels casually turning into Slenderman and flying off into the air.

• In Update #6 I watched a Wastrel float down the stairs in sitting position, then float off past me staring me down.

But in all seriousness, it's the whole feel and look of the game. It's all gorgeous and unique and I get so into it.

And whenever Mr Sideburns talks. lovely day for it. /swoons

i'm in the same situation, @syalmans but i definitely agree, the chalk graffiti adds so much to the atmosphere. i love the propaganda posters as well!

also lol @otherbuttons i would have loved to see that floating wastrel, do you stream the game? i managed to play a little bit and what corpses i saw did indeed boogie out and fly off into space, and i loved every moment of it.... except for the not getting their loot thing

@dash

I do stream, but the game barely plays right now on my partner's PC. 8( if the new build works, I'll be streaming it mainly to run about and have fun and find glitches and stuff.

The fact that every time I play the game I want to watch Clockwork Orange. Considering this is pre-alpha, I was very surprised how much they've managed to put into the game already to push that dystopian and surreal atmosphere. Loving every minute of gameplay atm, even though I've died 50+ times already just messing around.

My favorite moment was (spoilers for a Wastrel event ahead) when I walked up the stairs of an old, unfamiliar building. "Have I been here before?" I asked myself, then I turned around. My reaction was verbal, I spoke it aloud, because when I turned around I saw the bodies of two wellies that had hung themselves, and behind them? Children's play things. Upon closer investigation shivers ran down my spine...'where are all the children?" I dreaded to myself.

That was an amazing moment--it really made the world seem real to me. It wasn't just another house full of angry Wastrel's. It was a quiet home, and I could just take in the moment. Brilliant story telling blending with gameplay is what I love about this game.

Definitely seconding CaptnGlitch. That has been my favorite random event by far. It was so jarring and genuinely frightening after growing so accustomed to the cheerful rainbow colors.