Sign in to follow this  
Nimshabane

Getting the Ephemeral Linen

Every single time I've gone in that house I'm spotted causing the quest to fail and loose whatever number I've collected. Wearing sneakers, crouching, and having that buff for extra sneakiness does't seem to help enough. What are others doing?

I failed this one as well. Even after I went back in I couldn't complete the part about discovering why the strangeness was occurring. When I got to the place where an event should trigger, nothing happened. The guy praying in front of the Octo-Demon never left the area. I just grabbed the Linen and bounced. It's not a game breaking fail like some others but it will frustrate ya.

I restarted again after this latest hotfix and found you do get the quest for investigating when you re-enter. So, that isn't a permanent fail if your seen. No luck still in getting the linen though as that gal in the kitchen keeps spotting me. Been wondering if we're supposed to get that first linen in the kitchen, then come back after we've got the suit of blending.

Tried this idea that really worked! Chucked a tear gas grenade into the kitchen that you get from the Bobbies by the apple tree. No problem with getting the linen at all! You only get so many so I'm not sure if that will help in getting thru the whole house. Do make sure you grab at least 2 linens so you can make your own suit of Blending. The Treehouse guy only gives you the recipe and not the linen back.

Oh, and remember to put on your gas mask!

Now that is funny. I never found any linen. I had the crouch, the sneakers and a sneak bonus. I snuck past the kitchen lady (go past her when she's bowing on the floor), followed someone down that left hall and around where the staircases are. Went up the stairs. Saw the guy by the octogod, went past him to the dead end and never once found any linen at all. However, upstairs hall, far end away from the octogod is a partial wall. I saw linen in that room, but found no way inside and subsequently got caught by someone coming up the staircase. My only thought is that I was no longer on joy and will try another pill to see if that opens the wall.

You need to be on Joy and it has to be past 11:00pm. When the gate opens walk all the way to the right over a couple of rocks. There should be another door that is locked, you sneak in through the window next to it. Once you're in, find the linen and then come back out the same way you came.

::Laughs:: yeah I did find some linen in the kitchen on the central table. When you first come into the building, your joy effect wears off. I went back to the partial wall. More Joy did not work on it but I will give an open window a go :D

Well I found linen on the kitchen table again, went upstairs, got caught and when I woke in the safe house, the linen was gone from my inventory. That'll teach me!

@darcphaze,

Yeah I too lost my linens(there's 3 in bathroom closet) after being spotted before finding source of strangeness. Returning to location they are gone, they're not in safe house inventory either. So can Johnny Bolton quest not be completed then if spotted in mystery house?

I actually used the ghost mode cheat (because you know, they're there) and flew in. It happened to be in a bedroom for me. My game glitched and wouldn't let me move once I was inside so I just teleported to the nearest safehouse and I still had my inventory.

Br careful using Ghost mode in the house- I got caught and my game glitched out. I was constantly falling through the map and repeatedly dying. I used developer cheats to turn off ghost mode, turn on invulnerability and transport to nearest safe house but it wiped my entire inventory!

After many tries I have somewhat mastered getting the linen. Make sure you have gotten both sneakiness buffs from the treehouse guy (one to make you less noisy and reduce visibility). Equip sneakers and you can usually creep close enough to the kitchen gal to take her down. If she alerts and boots you out then it is best to use either a banger or tear gas grenade, etc. Remember to run out of the house quickly if using a Banger! Same things should work for 2nd guy in office/library area.

There is a closet in the bathroom that has several linens too! Can't remember if the door was locked.