Sign in to follow this  
Muncha

10162 Thoughts

Long-press E to exit is nice, can't remember if that was always there, but I remember accidentally exiting a few times.

The flowers and extra vegetation in the garden district look great. It looks much wilder now.

I actually got a fright by trying to sneak up on the Wellie on the couch with the huge hat and finding out that it was a mannequin. Then sat down and read the paper for quite a while.

- Tooltip to stand up and the outline of the couch show through the paper. If this is going to be a fixture of the game, perhaps the tooltip could be pegged somewhere?

If you fall of a 2nd floor ledge while you're facing and against a wall, the camera clips through the wall slightly during the 'landing' camera movement.

Crouching up to a wall clips the visible hands through the wall.

The tooltips on the items as to their effect are quite cool.

The bottles that are in the rubble somewhere look like they should be able to be picked up. Perhaps they could be changed to look broken or cracked or dirty? Just to avoid the effect of walking over, bashing E at them a bunch and then going 'ah, that's right, because video game...'

I love the extra complexity in the buildings.

Hit a crash while trying to move, hit a Welly and use some healing balm using the quickslot all at once. Not sure if the reporting is all going but if not, the main message was:

Assertion Failed: InvocationList[ CurFunctionIndex ] != InDelegate[File:F:\P4\Glimpse\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\UObject\ScriptDelegates.h] [Line: 435]

Just taking another shot. First load = 40 seconds world building time until the Uncle Jack voiceover started, then another 20 seconds to load the video. Not hugely bad, comparatively speaking.

One thing that occurs to me is that maybe it would be nice to be able to mouse-over an object on the ground and press tab to bring up the inventory, with the object that is moused over showing in the 'ground' portion? Would be another good thing to help with inventory management, etc.

Same deal with being able to eat things directly from out of the cupboards. I kind of like the feeling of that, too, in terms of my internal narrative. Kind of like scoffing everything I can't carry in case I'm hungry later...

I quite like how the different areas are abundant in different things. Plenty of safe water to start with and then plenty of food, but then not much of either in the other area.

The different types of suit is a nice touch, as is the coloured portrait indicators. Is the portrait supposed to match your character?

Nothing particularly interesting, except that I tried to takedown one of the shrieking old women before she saw me. I didn't get the prompt but hit her twice with a frying pan instead. I'm not sure what sounds played when she got hit, but it sounded like a male character being hit or something? Not sure.

It seems like just plain old fist fighting works a little too well, possibly. You can throw a lot of punches really quick and take someone out almost quicker than with a weapon, it seems.

I also found that kiting the bobbies into other wastrels etc. works a little too well as a method of escape or getting through the broken joy detector scenario. There was also quite a few spots where bobbies would just stop and stare at people who were upstairs, leaving them essentially immobile. It feels like running from bobbies shouldn't be quite as effective as it is currently. It kind of short circuits some of the difficulty of trying to navigate the bridges.

Next shot:

Made a pipe hammer. Holy cow, that thing is a beast now. I still think the fists are too fast, but this is the proper way to do things.

Got quite surprised by approaching a bobby when forgetting that I had the wastrel suit on, that was a shock. Kited the bobbies away and got them hung up, then punched a couple more to death without taking damage. One got stuck on the 'downer breach' sign at the bridge with the purple goo on it.

Walked up to a pump that had purple goo near it, noticed the navigation started getting really choppy, felt like I was hitting a lot of invisible walls or similar. Two female wellies approached the pump and then a repeating loop of a male voice going 'ooh urgh' started playing over and over, then a sigh and they fell over. The choppyness made me have to leave that area.

Went through the building with the alarm going off and unlocked the door, that's a slightly terrifying process, especially with the Bobby bashing on the door.

Tried a takedown on a sleeping wellie. They ragdolled around under the bed for a few seconds and then fell through the floor to the outside.

Also killed a large quantity of Wastrels with the takedown. Perhaps their suspicion should go up if they can see a corpse nearby? Seemed like I had quite a pile of them by standing near an area they were all pathing around.

My kingdom for a bloody sewing kit, seriously. Managed to find one finally and make a construction workers suit.

I feel like the stats on the Stew are someone making a statement about not liking stew. It should be far more nutricious and filling than suggested! I like stew.

Nicked a lead pipe off the tea party table in the garden district. That was also a shock, but easily solved by kiting them away and doubling back. Takedown on the remaining one in a chair got me stuck on some geometry, but a few crouches and jumps and I was free.

One control note: Going into the menu while holding a movement direction and then coming back out cancels that movement direction until you lift the key and re-press it. I found myself doing this quite a lot when navigating using the map, so it would good if it could just continue the movement. Specific issue: Press and hold W, press tab (or M) to see map, press tab again, character no longer moves. Need to lift W and press W again to move. Feels like the character should resume movement in this case.

When talking to a Wellie to defuse suspicion, they stay suspicious for a second or two and then run at you. It's pretty disconcerting.

Got out! Fade to white, back to menu, whole deal. Very proud!

Sam: I think I know the thing you meant before about things you had to have on you to open the hatch now. Didn't try without them, but will in the future.

- Tooltip to stand up and the outline of the couch show through the paper. If this is going to be a fixture of the game, perhaps the tooltip could be pegged somewhere?

I'm not overly fond of the current location of the interaction prompts. On the one hand, based on some HUD research I did early on, there are a few other games that just have a static prompt close to the reticle. On the other hand, I think I can come up with something better. But it will do for now.

Hit a crash while trying to move, hit a Welly and use some healing balm using the quickslot all at once. Not sure if the reporting is all going but if not

It's not automated, no. We were hoping that Epic's solution would be available in time for the update, but it was postponed. We'll probably have to roll out something of our own sooner than later... In any event, the sticky thread in the bugs forum has some info on where to get the minidumps. Since that assert message is new to me, I'd quite appreciate having the minidump and logfile for it!

First load = 40 seconds world building time until the Uncle Jack voiceover started, then another 20 seconds to load the video. Not hugely bad, comparatively speaking.

We're working to improve this right now, as it's much longer than that on lower spec machines. Also, I'm cleaning up our application state management so we can finally have the loading screen continue until the world is generated, rather than have an ugly, misleading black screen.

One thing that occurs to me is that maybe it would be nice to be able to mouse-over an object on the ground and press tab to bring up the inventory, with the object that is moused over showing in the 'ground' portion? Would be another good thing to help with inventory management, etc.

We discussed having nearby items show up in the ground container, but the main concern from that was that it can then become a game of bringing up the inventory to see if there are items nearby, which isn't exactly fun gameplay. But having the targeted item show up kind of works around that limitation... It's an interesting idea, I'll experiment with it.

Same deal with being able to eat things directly from out of the cupboards. I kind of like the feeling of that, too, in terms of my internal narrative. Kind of like scoffing everything I can't carry in case I'm hungry later...

The current restriction on using items from the container grid was an arbitrary decision I made on the spot. You're right, I suppose it doesn't really add any gameplay value to require the player to have an item in their inventory to use it...

One control note: Going into the menu while holding a movement direction and then coming back out cancels that movement direction until you lift the key and re-press it. I found myself doing this quite a lot when navigating using the map, so it would good if it could just continue the movement.

That's a good point. I don't know how easy that will be given the engine's input management, but I have a fair idea where to start.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10779784/Dump126134208.dmp

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10779784/GlimpseGame-backup-2015.07.04-10.11.59.log

There you go, links to the dump and log files as requested.

First load = 40 seconds world building time until the Uncle Jack voiceover started, then another 20 seconds to load the video. Not hugely bad, comparatively speaking.

We're working to improve this right now, as it's much longer than that on lower spec machines. Also, I'm cleaning up our application state management so we can finally have the loading screen continue until the world is generated, rather than have an ugly, misleading black screen.

It's actually kinda cool, once the voiceover starts. I don't really know why, but a blank screen with Uncle Jack's voice seems nicer than a loading screen. Less 'gamey', I guess?

The current restriction on using items from the container grid was an arbitrary decision I made on the spot. You're right, I suppose it doesn't really add any gameplay value to require the player to have an item in their inventory to use it...

I can see how it's pretty much just a judgement call, yeah. Inventory juggling is one of the more frustrating things in games, from my perspective, so anything that alleviates that is always going to be a win in my books. I still like the mental image of scoffing everything out of a cupboard before hearing footsteps, clambering out the window and running away.

One control note: Going into the menu while holding a movement direction and then coming back out cancels that movement direction until you lift the key and re-press it. I found myself doing this quite a lot when navigating using the map, so it would good if it could just continue the movement.

That's a good point. I don't know how easy that will be given the engine's input management, but I have a fair idea where to start.

Much appreciated!

Edit: Also, it's always a curse re-reading things you've typed previously. 'so it would good'... Ugh...

@Muncha a special update for you, my friend. Today, we implement automated crash reporting! No more random dump file uploading! Hurray!

Hahaha, sounds good. Hopefully I won't be able to find any weird and wonderful unseen-before crashes for you all!