Sign in to follow this  
Statzory

My Update 6 Feedback (All-Opinion)

I've been playing the pre-alpha for a bit, and I just wanted to give some general feedback on the game.

I really like the world the game builds. It's creepy, original, and full of (mod) style. The new update especially adds a lot of variety to the world, and I hope to see even more variation in the types of building and people that can be encountered. I would especially like to see more shop names in the village, since right now it seems that every store is some sort of McDonalds like chain that just pops up everywhere.

I was immediately sold on the atmosphere of suspenseful suspicion the game tries to create. I would love to see more of it; maybe through having more hiding spots and ways to blend in. The clothing system was definitely a step in the right direction, I think.

Being a rogue-like, there is obviously a lot of dying in the game. One rogue-like staple I feel would make dying easier is some sort of progress that transfers between playthroughs, like FTL's unlockable ships or Sunless Sea's stat bonuses. It gives the sense that even though you keep dying, you are making progress and you are getting somewhere. It can be frustrating to feel that the hours you've put into the game so far have amounted to no accomplishment.

That's it for now. Good luck with the game!

• Like 1

The team have vetoed some other kinds of progression on the grounds that it doesn't feel like a hardcore Roguelike. Not that you couldn't have something, but it sounds like they don't want to make the game keep getting easier with more play-throughs. They eventually plan to have a story mode where the death penalty is lower, which might help.

I think it'd be kind of cool to do the opposite -- make it harder (or have an option for harder) after you finish more times, like Binding of Isaac. And the unlockable player characters might do either of these things, or just be different modes (more like Don't Starve's other characters.)

Both options are worthwhile. The key is to make sure that we respect the player's time - part of that is done naturally through learning the rules of the game (subsequent playthroughs are easier because you have greater knowledge of the world and skill), but we do want to have some sort of consistent progression/unlock system like FTL. The characters are one of these things, but we're looking into other ways.

The Binding of Isaac is a really interesting example. We may well be able to do something along these lines, although we'll have to wait and see on that. One option might be, for example, always dropping crafting blueprints in the world, but those blueprints will always be for things you haven't unlocked yet. That's an option, although we're still not certain if we'll go down the blueprint route.