Sign in to follow this  
MrScoot

Update Preview (Steam PC)

Currently, I am truly loving this little preview that the game has. I'll make this short and sweet and get to the pros and cons.

Pros:

-New items/weapons (I think? I may have just never seem 'em) are a refresher

-More Red (Elite) Bobbies

-More encounters/events

-Compass and map markers/tracking is great!

-New inventory items

-Seems like items now have a respawn timer (this is awesome, requires more testing though to make sure)

-Needs and Joy are not as dire anymore and are more balanced

-Combat seems a lot smoother

-New assets and layouts are wonderfully crafted

-Joy is more plentiful outside of Hamlyn (possibly just due to my generated map)

-Throwing rubber ducks! :)

Cons:

-Bugs! (Duh)

-Assets disappearing, like some of the new houses

-Doors not having any collision detection

-Pickups for anything becoming glitched and thus cannot be picked up or interacted with, thus requiring a reload

-Assets being out of place at times

-Bobby baton and shock baton being a little too powerful (I can take out scores of people with one, even bobbies)

-Crafting is items are way more organized now!

(From here these Cons are my own personal nitpicky cons)

Nitpicky Cons:

-Constable keycards can be rare (although I somewhat find this to be good)

-What ever happened to Officer keycards? (I felt it added an extra layer of depth)

- Bobby Popper side quest; still provides no information about what we learned lore wise besides getting components and a "That's how they do it!"

-I want old ladies to fight me too than boo me in disappointment...

-A possible increase in inventory, quickslot, and secondary slot expansion packs as I have not come across any in my current run. (Yet still keep them rare)

-Some downer detectors on checkpoints not being powered at all, thus defeated the purpose of the shortcut past the checkpoint itself.

-Larger safe inventory, or even finding or crafting expansions for the safe

-Fast travel to each found safehouse (albeit, this can break the flow and immersion of the game, so maybe not)

-Being able to go inside the building after the workzone during "Blood in the Streets" (I'm sure this'll be in the 1.0 version though)

-Bring back shaded highlight while wearing a gas mask, just seems to help more to identify when you are wearing one

-Disguises would be cool. Being able to put on one of those masks and wearing the Bobby helmet would be cool

-With the above mentioned, possibly a hat and shoe slot in clothing (make it a bit more in depth)

I have more Pros and Cons but, I will add on to this as I continue playing. 25 hours, 5 playthroughs, and counting and still will continue to play. Good job Compulsion Games. You guys are artisans.

Still playing the game and, of course, still loving it. Here is a small update to my previous post.

Pros:

-New items/weapons (I think? I may have just never seem 'em) are a refresher

-More Red (Elite) Bobbies

-More encounters/events

-Compass and map markers/tracking is great!

-New inventory items

-Seems like items now have a respawn timer (this is awesome, requires more testing though to make sure)

-Needs and Joy are not as dire anymore and are more balanced

-Combat seems a lot smoother

-New assets and layouts are wonderfully crafted

-Joy is more plentiful outside of Hamlyn (possibly just due to my generated map)

-Crafting categories for items are way more organized now!

-Recipes galore!

-Random world generation still keeps things fresh!

-Throwing rubber ducks! :)

Cons:

-Bugs! (Duh)

-Assets disappearing, like some of the new houses

-Doors not having any collision detection

-Pickups for anything becoming glitched and thus cannot be picked up or interacted with, thus requiring a reload

-Assets being out of place at times

-Bobby baton and shock baton being a little too powerful (I can take out scores of people with one, even bobbies)

-Random crashes (Haven't nailed the exact cause yet)

(From here these Cons are my own personal nitpicky cons)

Nitpicky Cons:

-Constable keycards can be rare (although I somewhat find this to be good)

-What ever happened to Officer keycards? (I felt it added an extra layer of depth)

- Bobby Popper side quest; still provides no information about what we learned lore wise besides getting components and a "That's how they do it!"

-I want old ladies to fight me too, rather than boo me in disappointment...

-A possible increase in inventory, quickslot, and secondary slot expansion packs as I have not come across any in my current run. (Yet still keep them rare)

-Some downer detectors on checkpoints not being powered at all, thus defeating the purpose of the shortcut through the checkpoint itself.

-Larger safe inventory, or even finding or crafting expansions for the safe

-Fast travel to each found safehouse (albeit, this can break the flow and immersion of the game, so maybe not)

-Being able to go inside the building after the workzone during "Blood in the Streets" (I'm sure this'll be in the 1.0 version though)

-Bring back shaded highlight while wearing a gas mask, just seems to help more to identify when you are wearing one

-Disguises would be cool. Being able to put on one of those masks and wearing the Bobby helmet would be cool

-With the above mentioned, possibly a hat and shoe slot in clothing (make it a bit more in depth)

I have more Pros and Cons but, I will add on to this as I continue playing. 25 hours, 5 playthroughs, and counting and still will continue to play. Good job Compulsion Games. You guys are artisans.

Yet another update to the previous ones, I will spare you the copy/paste nonsense and get straight to the new ones

Pros:

-Medicinal and weapon/consumable crafted item come in stacks (some of them at least)

-FPS issues have improved

-Diversity of new and current assets maintain the illusion of a much larger map

-Checkpoints being randomized (location wise) keep things fun

-More "grenades" instead of just the two spike and berserk bombs

-Bobbies are a much bigger threat now, encouraging stealthier gameplay

-Faraday has seen a HUGE improvement!

-I'm not sure if this is just me but, it seems shops now have better prices

-Crafting requirements for many items has been improved

Cons(+Nitpicky):

-May be due to my generated world but, where are the Worker's Overalls?

-Some assets still float (i.e. Telephone booths, Bobby Poppers, Tesla Coils)

-Faraday is still a bit buggy (dialogue and quest wise)

-Still some FPS issues, may just be because I run a full AMD system. Is it hot in here?

-Checkpoints/bridges are still a bit buggy themselves (not horrible though)

-Would love an option to redo encounters rather than just fail them

-Would love a dedicated save/load system than just the auto-save mechanic (albeit current save mechanic is just fine, just my opinion)

-More pieces of lore scattered about

-Ability to go into more government (like checkpoints) buildings and explore while sneaking or abandoned (although I'm sure this will be in 1.0)

Hey everyone, I am back, and with a bit more of a bonus to this review.

To begin, as I have been playing, We Happy Few has shed much light on topics and thoughts I would have never considered, much less thought of. WHF is a game about taking pills to show this false sense of happiness to others in order to survive and get by. We see this all too much in the real world; A world where being sad, upset, or even angry is simply not an option. We are given pills at times, upon which some of us possibly do not even need it. We live in a society of happiness and WHF's world is a mirror showing us the utter hilarity and absurdity of what a world like that does to its people and culture. The stigma of taking drugs to feel better is every where, you can even see NPC's and Bobbies asking or even stating how much better it is to be on Joy.

Conclusion on this small observation, WE Happy Few is not just a game with a fresh twist but, a parallel to our own world and our thoughts on the use of drugs. Here are my Pros and Cons for the day-

Pros:

-Improvement in AI

-Items are abundant and placement seem to be a bit more appropriate

-CTD (Crash To Desktop) issue seems to have been fixed

Cons:

-Some quests still bugged

-Why not stack Polarity Devices and Power Cells?

-Some collision detection issues

-AI scripts can be off or not occur at all at times

More to come still. Thank you for your time.

@MrScoot thanks for the feedback :) We are reading, although don't always have time to reply.

More updates, I have pointed out a lot of the wonderful improvements/fixes but, now this will focus a lot more on my own nitpicky observations on things/suggestions I feel can help contribute to the game.

Nitpicks:

-Hamlyn (Main town) has a lot of variety but I would like to see more businesses than just houses and two shops

-Back alleys and the like are refreshing to have, but let's get some interesting things in them

-Walls, Wall up the main town. We aren't in the city yet but, this is a dystopia, we don't want to see those filthy downers.

-House of Curious Behaviors is very curious, I would love to see more

-Some clipping with assets still occur, this is possibly due to just the world generation

-Field area leading to "end game" zone has a lot of potential, add in a safehouse.

-Regarding my fast travel idea, you included sewers, let's use those sewers as a means to travel between safe houses

-Possibility of destroying spankers as option?

-Fighting an army of Bobbies at night is fun but spoils potential to sneak at times

-Rubber duck bombs would be the cornerstone of combat...

-You've thrown in many side oddities to explore (i.e. Cult of Jack, Cult of Yam, Eldritch Cultists in Mansion) expand on that.

-With the above mentioned, you pave the way to add a dose of supernatural to the game, you have good balance with it.

-Still cannot pick up some quest items as they bug out (even on reload)

I will continue my posts on Pros and Cons sometime next week. Almost 40 hours logged in and I stream regularly. I love this game, my suggestions are my own and whatever you guys do in the end, I will be happy regardless. However, if you do consider or decide one of these ideas I suggested, let me know ;) I'd be honored to hear. You guys are clever and are on the way to giving us the rest of this already amazing experience.