Sign in to follow this  
Pullahoko

Lovely day for it!

Hey all,

After a long and tedious upgrade process, I finally got some hands-on time with WHF.

I really like it so far!

My feedback -

I think it's odd that you always start off in a Wastrel district. See, you can't 'defuse the situation' with a Wastrel. In fact, I didn't even know you could tell Wellies that it's a lovely day for it to ease their suspicions until I saw someone else on YouTube do it. Maybe there should be a way of teaching this early-game? If players aren't aware, they'll think they have to sneak around and not be seen all the time!

CHANGE THE SOUND ON ALARMS! The really loud, jolting electronic sound makes me jump in shock every time! The first time I heard it I nearly jumped out of my seat! In a game where you have to be listening to what people are saying about you, this could really hurt headphone users.

It seems like you have to get too close to rubble piles to actually investigate them. (in some cases it's like you need to be right on top of them!)

That's all for now! I managed to "beat" the pre-alpha, and I think I just got lucky, because it seems like it would be a pretty hard feat to do normally!

To piggyback on this, I think there are a few interactions with the Wellies that would add a layer of depth to the game.

Right now the interaction is limited to greeting Wellies on the street. (pre-alpha, I know, but I'm just throwing things out there!)

Other interactions the player might need to respond to:

-Coming inside for a cuppa. (Wellies invite you inside and give you some tea. If you don't drink it they get angry)

-Sharing a long story about the time they beat a Downer (you have to stay and listen to them for a bit, and laugh at the appropriate moment, otherwise they get angry)

-Talking about the latest episode of Laugh with Uncle Jack (the player has to give a response that indicates that they watched it, otherwise they get angry. (example, the player cites their favorite part, but it's not something that was actually in the show))

-Impromptu bouts of patty-cake, Tag, and Ring Round the Rosy.

-Friendly gift exchange! A Wellie presents a gift to you; you must give them something back in return. Make it good! Nobody likes a crummy gift.

-The Admirer! Why, someone has fallen in love with you! They'll follow you around for a bit, so don't do anything suspicious in the meantime.

Seconding the rubble piles. It's only a minor inconvenience but it's so often it's there.

Backing up the Admirer action too, just so I can woo an old lady of a cliff. ;D but nah the idea of walking around with a possy of admirers possibly protecting me (but obviously still being at the risk of them detecting me in return) is a beautiful idea.

The gift though... They're getting rotten apples if they like it or not.

I'm glad you're finally able to play! That's good news. Onto the more specific feedback:

1) Wastrel district: the plan is that not all characters will start here. Agreed that we need to teach that mechanic better! But you'll see that the Wastrels are a little bit more reasonable in the next update.

2) Alarm sound is already changing! You will see. Having said that, people really did like it, as it creates a massive shock for the player.

3) Rubbish piles: agreed. There are actually a couple of interactions that have the same issue and we understand exactly what you mean. It's in the works.

4) You won already?! That's it, game has to be harder :)

5) Interaction ideas are great, thank you. Passing them on to the team. The gift of rotten apples is so good though! Here, take my poison, and eat it, damn you.

Back again after some time with the updated pre-alpha.

The garden district looks GREAT now! And the suits that help you blend in are pretty good.

A few things:

- I found a visual bug. If you are crashing on Joy and take more joy, your vision can remain affected. (see screenshot)

34F77D3C7510D101E9766C0FB8B83C4EC89E579F

-Speaking of, I don't see the point in the psychotropic syringe. Using it no matter what your joy level is always makes you crash. Why not get high and then crash afterward, instead of crashing without getting high?

-Ragdolls are still funky has heck. I kinda like it, but y'know.

2FF15B59D2099A0491F8EDE111063DB81B31692A

Also, almost forgot;

The take-down prompt is exremely finnicky! there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how far away but still behind a Wellie you need to be for the prompt to come up. It seems like position should matter more than distance behind.