Sign in to follow this  
Communazi

Why isn't everyone smoking?

Walking through the Downer district, I was trying to think of more idle actions the NPCs could be taking to make the area seem more immersive. It then occurred to me: No one is smoking. This is a slum full of strung out, mega-depressed, squatters. It's like the only recreational activity they have. Not to mention it's the 60s - everyone was smoking.

I think it would be a great and relatively easy addition to give all NPCs, including the Wellington Wells folks, some sort of cigarette smoking animation as it would create a more believable (if somewhat hazier) atmosphere.

Also, some other things to consider that would naturally take more time to develop, but would give smoking more context in the world:

A "brand" with advertisements, posters, n such

Cigarettes as a usable item with some effect on the player (perhaps shortening Joy withdrawal time?)

As a giftable item

Also, also, I'm really enjoying the game so far and can't wait to see what it transforms into over the next several months. Thanks, Devs. :)

@Communazi

Brilliant. In our more enlightened society, we tend to forget about how cigarettes helped the 'T-zone' recover.

I would inversely, love to see joy laced cigarettes sold. I'm unfamiliar with old British cigarette brands, but something along the lines of Happy Strikes would be brilliant.

i don't think wellington wells is big on imports. so unless they're growing and drying their own tobacco i don't see cigarettes being available

joy may have even supplanted tobacco

however that begs the question, where does the meat come from? i have a sneaking suspicion that strange meat might not be the strangest meat around