Sign in to follow this  
noahgibbs

We Happy Few on Parallels or Wine?

Has anybody tried out the We Happy Few pre-alpha on Mac using Parallels or Wine? I've seen random people's play-throughs on YouTube, so somebody has copies :-)

I'd love to play on Mac, even imperfectly. But I'd rather not pay US$50 or more if I can't play the game at all :-/

• Like 1

I'm waiting for a proper Linux port announcement to back it :) But if it works in Wine - it would be good to hear.

I'm a little worried because they just say they have "a reason" to delay announcing. That might be an exciting announcement related to the port. But it also might be, say, a partnership with Microsoft to do an XBox/Windows platform exclusive. Which would be nice for them, but would suck for me ;-)

It's not about exclusives, I'm sure Compulsion aren't into that kind of thing :) So they'll clarify it when they can.

Give me a day or two and I might be able to hijack my housemate's macbook and install it on his Wine to check. Although I have no clue on that thing's specs so I can't promise anything in particular.

Ignore me, just asked him and apparently he's bootcamping instead of WINE these days. So it's a no-go from this side. 8( Good luck finding out!

I just picked up a copy of Parallels desktop and backed the Kickstarter at the pre-Alpha level. So I'll let folks know very soon! :-)

(And supposedly there will be an announcement about Mac/Linux before the end of the Kickstarter. Just a few days left!)

I hope there will be post Kickstarter funding set, because for such a short time it would be hard to gain enough attention from potential supporters.

I'm pretty sure I read on the Kickstarter comments that, yes, they'll allow funding/purchase after the Kickstarter is over.

Presumably that won't directly fund the stretch goals or anything, but it makes sense that they'll keep taking orders. Especially since, as you say, Mac and Linux folks haven't gotten a lot of time to spread the word. Right now it's still unannounced with only four days to go!

+1 for finding out Mac options, happy to bootcamp to play it though, will be trying it on VirtualBox which is what I use currently when pre-alpha is released.

No worries, I don't like playing early versions of story driven games, it kind of spoils them for me :)

This whole early access idea is somewhat weird in my view. In the past people were paid to alpha / beta test games, or at least they could do it for free (since it helps developers). Today people pay developers to test games, heh :)

*grin*

Apparently they're intentionally holding back most of the story so that there's some excitement on release, if that helps.

I actually find the experience shown in the pre-alphas to be pretty compelling even before a main story is properly added. Don't get me wrong -- I very much look forward to the story. But I suspect I'm also going to be pretty jazzed about just the sneak-and-scavenge atmospheric Roguelike experience I'm seeing there. The videos look good.