Sign in to follow this  
ReapoBot

Suggestion for released game.

To tell you the truth, I don't have too much interest in We Happy Few. It's a great concept, and if I get a better PC or if it comes out for console I might look into it, but it's just not my kind of game. There's no story, no real mystery. Granted, it's still in -alpha-... And I understand that. But what I would like to suggest is something to give it more substance end-game, at release.

Keep in mind, developers and forum-goers, I do not have any certification as a writer for these games. I simply wish to give my two cents.

Imagine a 'story mode' where you take one of the two or three main characters, and are tasked with infiltrating the town. Finding out a dark secret about so and so, or revealing the truth about the Happiness to the other townsfolk to turn them into Downers. You then have specific objectives for each day, with each day being a save point. It takes away from the risk of a survival game, perhaps, but things like hunger and thirst at the end of a day would still carry over.

Each day, you would have different objectives. Day one, infiltrate the town. Day two, locate a home. Day three, locate X person. So on, so forth. These commands would be given out by a sort of underground of Downers, people like you who don't buy into the drugs and Happiness, or simply people who are 'immune'. Now, at the end, they tell you the location of the grate at the end of the world... So you can escape.

I know it's not quite what you guys had in mind, but I think it would be an -amazing- way to show off some more lore and story for your world. Not just throwing players into random city after random city to try and escape. You could offer different endings for each character, or perhaps the choice to simply become one of the townsfolk, abandoning the underground! So many possibilities, so many opportunities to tell this amazing story. And, you could still keep the core survival aspect of the game as 'free play', or simply as a 'challenge mode' which would allow for the game to continue on after the 'story' is complete.

@ReapoBot

Well, as far as I'm aware, WHF does have a story. It just doesn't present it in a linear fashion. You decide the day to day objectives, instead of the game deciding for you. You learn more about the lore through snippets of Uncle Jack's radio/television show, or through observations of the town and the Wellies and Wastrels that inhabit it. So instead of giving you the story outright, things have to be inferred and pieced together with multiple play throughs. I personally find that to be much more compelling than the conventional means of story telling.

I have no clue if it's to the standard you're portraying, but there's these three as the player characters and each have their own story:

de2a6f222ebc1d9f367252392baa7c6e_original.jpg?v=1433284925&w=680&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=7d361472dfbf9693b4448a6312b98fae

So there is a character objective, and there are going to be little scenarios in town to do at least. It's all in the 'Characters and Story' section on the kickstarter.

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I know that, as it stands, there -is- a story. But because it's presented in a non-linear fashion, it may come as an annoyance or even a turn-off to a lot of potential players who enjoy that sort of thing. In either case, it was just a suggestion for a potential finished build. Specifically, one that allowed you to get a much more in-depth look at how the town interacts outside of their sphere of influence. Is the whole world like that? Is it just the one town?

But, that's all it really is. My personal opinion of a direction the game developers could take to offer, as I said, a bit more of a linear method of delivering story. There would still be plenty of snippets to hide, just like in any game, but you wouldn't have to rely on luck to find the most important ones.

Hey, it's a pretty interesting idea. It is quite a departure from how we're intending to tell the story - we'd have to entirely rewrite the world, characters, cutscenes and gameplay - but some of your ideas are along the same lines of what we have planned.

For example, when you start as a character, we're planning that you will have an intro cinematic/gameplay moment. It'll explain a bit about your motivations, and should hint at where to go next. We're also planning a journal that will remind you what to do to advance the story, although it probably won't hold your hand too much. Finally, it's likely that we'll have a "story mode" that is a little bit easier/has some core changes that make it more accessible - while we are designing the core game for hardcore players, we also want the story to be played through.

Exactly how we go about this will depend on what issues/challenges/opportunities we encounter during development, but story is a big focus for the game and has been since the beginning.

As for how we do on this, as you're a story person, I encourage you to check in a little later on - we'll release the story when we fully release the game, and you're welcome to check out a few reviews/Let's Plays at that point and see how we've gone. We will come to consoles eventually, it's just a matter of timing, so you will be able to play if you choose.

Just to clarify, there are stories, big, ambitious stories, with linear plots and cut-scenes and all. They are just not in the game YET. We are not releasing any linear narrative until we actually release the game officially -- after pre-alpha, after Early Access.