Sign in to follow this  
fromthewoods

Rant about professional WHF reviews

I dont suppose anyone is gona read this, i just have to say it.

Its fine when kids who are not used to managing their own hype see the WHF trailer, go running to their parents for a few bucks an then get upset when the game is not what they expected, yet, and then write a frustration filled review. Its fine. "But it is early acess, they should know!" well, i bet they couldnt listen to these words over the sound of clicking the add to cart button. So its fine.

But after reading Rock, Paper, Shotgun review of WHF, i kinda got upset. The review sounds exactly like one some of the kids are writing, but with fancy words.

He complains just like someone who doesnt know what early acess means, saying "this is an early access build, with more ‘story’ and alternate playable characters promised for later on, but while such additions are an enticing prospect, I’m not entirely sure they’re what’s most-needed." Of course they are not what is most-needed right now god dammit. Haha. Its alpha, theres a lot to do.

He goes on complaining for quite a few paragraphs on lack of food! You have to learn your ways around the game before food is plentiful, i think youre supposed to die a few times before you find yourself with more food than you can eat.

By the way there was so much whinning about this that devs said they were bringing the needs down a bit. Plentiful food will become even more plentifull, i at least want the option to give my food away to the wastrels and become the hero of the Garden District.

The author clearly doesnt even like survival games stating that "a crafting backbone makes commercial sense, of course – one need only glance at the Steam charts to see how popular collecting rocks and building hats is". Omg are you serious? The crafting is done so so well here. Every junk is useful, and the resulting items too.

Alec Meer was clearly only playing this cause its his job, i doubt he spent more then 4 hours with the game, all the while ignoring the early acess tag, just like so many players that saw the trailer. Difference is, this guy is supposed to be a professional.

I almost signed up there to give him a lecture, but then whats the point, i doubt anyone reads those comments. I hate journalists, cant believe i was one of them at one point (no real hate here, some are the most brilliant people i ever met).

The PC Gamer review was also a bit negative, but at least the author was a professional who knew what he was getting into. You cant expect these reviewers to spent 20 gameplay hours for every article they write, and thats why these big media companies have no business writing about early acess games. But i guess news is news.

Rant over, ill take my joy and forget all about this.

Agreed. A lot of the media had done no research on the game beforehand.

The game is not even ready to be reviewed, it is not finished yet. The worst are the media that left bad reviews on Steam because they truly thought it was a finished Bioshock game...

I've seen several complain that it's "pointless, and lacks a story."

I had to register at like ten different sites to say "did you not READ the disclaimer that they put up that you must accept even before acquiring the game?"

Twits. I guess it's up to us true believers to keep the faith and get the word out again down the line.

A couple of days ago I saw a review of WHF on Youtube that claimed that originally it was supposed to be story-driven and linear, but somewhere along the line the devs changed it to plotless and procedurally generated. Minimal research - what's that?!

So, how long 'till we have people not bothering to learn anything about the game, except its title, and then complaining that it's not a video game adaptation of "Henry V", as they've expected?

I agree, some of these media outlets are silly, reviewing an early access tittle as if its a finished product, its silly.

I'd rather see some good articles on how the game is progressing, and how to play atm while it is in early access.

I was going to write a review on the Early Access stage of WHF for mulehorngaming.com , but i might wait a bit for it and go ahead and write a few how to's instead. i feel the gaming community is better off with those articles :)

All in all, i love WHF and i think the final product will be great, thanks to all of you that are giving Compulsion all the needed feedback on their game!

Thats exactly what an early access is for, Indie developers don't have a huge testing and quality team at their disposal, so they rely on Early Access. Game Media outlets should understand this, imo.

I found the media responsive to this game to be rather negative and it is rather annoying. The trend of reviewing Early Access game is beyond me and you only get this in gaming media, like you wouldn't watch the first quarter of an unfinished movie then write a review on it.