Sign in to follow this  
impo

Where did all the children go?

The town of Wellington Wells is quite an eerie place, despite all of its citizens taking their dosages of Joy. I adore the fact that even though the town is painted as a utopia, a large undercurrent of fear and guilt can't be shaken while playing. It's almost as if the town itself resembles the joy-drugged citizens. One thing I've noticed that adds the to uncertainty is the fact that there are no children in the game.

I can see why that would be for a multitude of reasons, namely it would be easier to replicate AI that are the same size, and fighting children is a little taboo (and rightly so). But I can't help but wonder if the fact that children are not present could tie into the storyline?

There was a "Very Bad Thing", but I don't quite think that is related. Uncle Jack's recount of the Pied Piper makes me feel as though the lack of children could be addressed when more story is added to the game. For those who don't know, the Pied Piper cured the town of Hamelin of thousands of rats riddled with the plague. He played a magic flute and lured the rats off a cliff to drown. After the citizens refused to pay the Piper, he then lured the town's children with the same magic flute, and delivered them to the same fate.

It's quite a dark story, but I can see some similarities within the fable and this game.

What do you guys think?

I love the comparison between Uncles Jack Pied Piper story and the actual town of Wellington Wells. I thought the same thing after I heard Uncle Jacks story, then visited the Plagued infected side of the town, the theory holds some grounds and I love it! Pied Piper was one of my favourite children stories growing up

Thats a nice parallalel, english is not my first language and im having trouble understanding things Uncle Jack says when im in the open unfortunately. I couldnt understand what that story was about, so thanks. The subtitles are kinda crazy right now.

Its just amazing how his shows fit with the world and many times with what youre doing at that very moment. Big Uncle Jack fan here, i recently joined the cult.

There are hints of mass infertility, or so ive heard, havent catched it yet. Problably cause people are kinda eating dead rats and making bread with sawdust?

Still, would love to hit a kid in the face with a shovel.

In the previous update in the train station , when you could use cheats to go through walls or fly around, you can see some signs on the wall that I believed said something about children over 13 aren't allowed on the train or something related to that , so I think either the children were taken away when the war happened or they were sent to war

I've noticed some paintings in certain houses that seem to depict the Pied Piper story. That's definitely an erie reoccurring theme. Hints maybe?

The intro contains canisters of news articles to redact...including one about registry of all children under 13 and a "breeders riot" involving a pregnant woman. By noting the passage of time, the children should be adults by the setting of the game.

If we're dealing with an alt-WW2 history where the Germans won the war against the British, it would be plausible that they took the kids away - either to train them to fight the Nazis, or because they repatriated them to Germany to Aryanize them. The Germans actually did this in real life via Lebensborn and other programs:

http://histclo.com/essay/war/ww2/ww2-leb.html

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/children.html

What I'm thinking os that if you read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley from which I think the Joy pill was inspired you will find out that all people there would grow up in places like some orphanages where they were taught the ideology and when they became adults they were given a job acording to their genes(Alpha, Beta etc.) and a place to stay. So you don't see children maybe because they are in orphanages

If you look to France in WWII, I think you'll get another bit of an answer. There's a village in France named Oradour-sur-Glane, which, in June of 1943, was destroyed under orders of Adolf Diekmann of the 2nd SS Panzer Division. 600+ people were murdered as a result of Diekmann believing that Obersturmbanfuhrer Helmut Kampfe had been captured and was being held hostage by the Free French in a village nearby.

If we assume that important members of the Nazi German military were kept in place after the transition to the Imperial German government (extremely likely), we can assume that their tendency towards brutal suppression tactics was held in place. Now let's go further down that rabbit hole a bit and examine what the German scientists were doing at this time. The scientists in the KZs were very actively developing new and "improved" (insofar as implements of such barbaric evil can be called "improved") methods of carrying out eugenics programs against "undesirable elements" of society. Programs were developed using all sorts of things such as radiation and chemicals to sterilize individuals quickly and cleanly.

Now let's examine what we know about Germany in We Happy Few: They transitioned from a Nazi government back to an Imperial government (which means that Hitlers original backers succeeded in their original plan to use him to dispose of the Weimar Republic and then dispose of him to regain their own power), history mirrored real world events at least until some point in the Second World War ( which means that the Germans had successfully deployed chemical weapons in the First World War, and that Nazi scientists had data available to them on the effects of poison gas on human beings), they occupied England, and there was ostensibly some form of resistance.

Combining all this, I've arrived at a tentative idea of what's going on here, and mind you, this is all speculation:

The Germans, in a fit of rage over some unknown act by the Resistance (A Very Bad Event), retaliated by dropped an experimental gas on the inhabitants of Wellington Wells. The gas was advertised to the German people as an act of mercy by their benevolent empire, lulling an angry and savage population into a fugue state in which no negative emotions existed. The people would be happy, and the German government would provide them with food and water to ensure they lived a peaceful life. What the German people didn't know, and their government did, was that the gas was also designed to sterilize the remaining population. Why waste good bombs when you can simply let the enemy population die off naturally, unable to replace their losses through a lack of any new births?

The original "Doctors" were dropped in shortly after the gas, their characteristic smiling gas masks serving both to protect them from the gas and disguise them among the delirious and intoxicated populous. In this capacity they could continue to ensure that the populace continued to take their medicine, in the form of a concentrated liquid and pill version of the chemicals they'd developed, keeping them sterile and placated, while also gathering data on how to enhance the effectiveness of the "Joy", as the chemical was now called.

Propaganda was carefully designed, painting any small act of defiance against the occupational government as a danger to society, while collaborators were rewarded with enhanced versions of Joy that stimulated extreme dopamine production, serving both to numb them to pain and crowd out almost any conscious thought. Eventually, this enhanced Joy became the standard, leaving the populace essentially brain dead due to their minds being flooded with orgasmic levels of dopamine.

The barrage balloons seen in the sky continue to spread a diluted, aerosol variant of Joy onto the city, where the Doctors continue to observe the population as it slowly dies off, incapable of producing a new generation of citizens. The German citizens, secretly receiving a highly diluted variant of Joy, which only sterlizes a small percentage (well within acceptable parameters),to allow them to rationalize what's being done to the Wellies, still believe that their Empire is the kindest and most just government on Earth, and that the Wellies can't have children because they simply aren't "worthy" of it.