Sign in to follow this  
Badboy

List of things that should be improved

I been playing this game for a good three days and i noticed A LOT of bugs (more than usual) for an 'alpha' game.

Let me get this clear, I think this game is FAR from being finished and it shouldn't be worth 30$ at the moment. (Probably 20$ the way how things are going)

So let get to the list and I'm going to put this in priorities.

High

- Lower the rate of Hunger, Thirst, and sleepiness. Majority of the game i found myself hunting for food (not water because that can be easily obtain)

- Increase the durability of the weapons. There should be no reason why a normal lady with a cricket bat hit me 50 times and it doesn't get destroyed. Then when I use it, it can only take three swings before breaking (from full durability).

- Don't make the NPCS camp in corners or on the wall at night-time. That make the "takedown" feature utterly pointless.

- ***THIS IS A GAME BREAKER*** - Fix the bridge gate that checks your Joy. Some of the gates are bugged out forcing you to constantly quit and reboot the game just to get pass or revert what you have done.

Medium

- There's a huge bug how when you hold "E" to drink water and you press tab for a quick second. Your character keeps drinking the water till you get a "Joy overdose".

- The hunger stars really doesn't match how much gives. (Hard to explain but for those who understand, thank you)

- Don't make so many policemen spawn at night, it make it nearly impossible to run across the street.

- Make "spankers" treat NPC's the same way they treat you.

Low

- Fix the jumping animation. It almost feels like your character can park-our (which I'm sure he cant), and you can reach some unusual heights with this. If this was done purposely that's a whole new story.

- If you sleep for 24 "hours" and wake up, you shouldn't die within 5 second from "Starvation" and/or "Dehydration".

- I don't know if this is just me but there's this old little lady that spawns at the MOST unusual times (mostly when I'm near being a "downer"). I know the lady was near HER office. This one specific model spawn way too much ready to scream "Downer".

(Proof:

)

- When you meet a Police that just recent beat you, he stutters through ALL of his dialog.

(Proof:

)

With all of this being said, the game in my opinion isn't in a stable state to even play with "Permadeath".

As of now, I'm hoping the developers sees this and the other posted on this thread and fix these issues before the game becomes final.

This game have a huge potential and it's something that the gaming community never seen before. It would be a shame to see it die because of issues like this.

Also here's some suggestions that would make the game sorta interesting.

- Add weather. so far it been sunny 24/7 in this game.

- Add various types of food and drinks. Not just water and meat.

- Make more houses enter-able(?).

- Make the bridges more unique.

- Put in assassin missions. You have the "takedown" animation and the "smuggle" animation when a person is sleeping.

I feel like thanks to early access being so common now, the term alpha doesn't carry the weight it should.

I see quite a few people expect a game at alpha status to be of beta quality. The two are different. The game is currently version .2x. For comparison a launched/finished version of software is version 1.0

You are playing a game that is 2x% complete. It's not a stress beta before a gold release, where they are in the 90% area and just looking to harvest bug reports.

In my opinion, it's pretty polished to be this early in alpha. You are paying 'X' dollars instead of final MSRP, which seems like a fair tradeoff.

@CrisRo Yeah, the game actually feels fantastic for an alpha.

At this point getting completely stuck, for whatever reason, should not be a big deal for anyone. Even if the game didnt run at all for you, it should be completely acceptable in an alpha. Still people seem upset.

I cant help but feel that releasing such a hypefull trailer like that in such an early state might have done the game a disservice.

@Badboy The price tag does feel steep compared to other early-acess games, but lets think about this.

Firstly the graphics here are way more complex than most indie games, wich are usually the ones that come out in early-acess. Doing graphics work is very labour intensive.

Other thing is, players want games to stay the same price forever for some reason, even tho everything else goes up in price. Thats why triple A games nowadays have to sneak in a bunch of downloadable content and season passes and microtransactions. Along with that, games are constantly getting more complex graphics, wich means bigger teams, wich means bigger budgets, wich means publishers dont want to take risks, wich means same old gameplay in new graphics coatings. Different, innovative projects will be more and more rare.

Want new and interesting gameplay in a pretty looking game? We should just pay up. It's given me 20 hours of entertainment already anyway. Money well spent i'd say.

@fromthewoods

Agreed.

@badboy Bugs will occur and the best way to help make this game better is to bring them up and makes sure they are seen, so they can be addressed. The devs are super active and want to make a good game. Your feedback cam be a great tool to improving this game, so on launch it is worthy of the hype.

@CrisRO

@fromthewoods

Both of you are right. I didn't mean to sound like the game is utter shit.

Like what you said (@fromthewoods), this game is fantastic as an early access alpha. Its just that I don't want Compulsion Games to lose such a huge opportunity cause little shenanigans.

Today i was stuck in a wall in the city. There were two citizens sleeping in one bed. I tried to take one of them down silent and after the takedown sequence I stood inside the wall and could only get out because a bed was infront of the wall and I could sleep and was outside again. Yeah I guess that should be fixed. All in all. Is the game really brillian. The idie is very great and you can spent hours and hours in the few districts. One more problem I mentioned was that the quest with the ghos you have to persue didn't move anywhere. I had really fun in the game.

@Badboy

I agree completely. I don't like to mention other games, but I was playing GTA V with some of my friends the other day and thought they had the perfect "time". I went in and looked at it and they have it set to 1 min/3 sec. I think that would make this less of a rushing game.

Also, to solve the hunger issue, I think they should only make you eat every two days or so. Hydration, I understand why you may need a lot of water, but the hunger meter should deplete MUCH slower.

@fromthewoods

I completely agree that this game looks outstanding for a non-AAA game, and I applaud them for including the story line in the alpha. But as you said, the trailers and teasers they released made it seem like a perfect game from the start.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think this game would be drastically improved if there were some distractions, for a price. Like if you pay off a citizen with Joy or currency, they would start a fight and make the guards run to them, help you fit in, etc.

Thoughts?

Yea I agree that some of the survival aspects should be toned down a bit. A lot of my time once I made it to Wellington Wells was spent gathering food, especially if you are using joy a lot.

Took me a while to realize that if you just don't use Joy and run around town talking to people that you run by they don't seem to care / have time to get mad at you. They should probably fix that.

Also it'd be nice if more things had a more generous sell value that way buying things had more of a purpose. There's really no good place for getting money consistently so you can't really buy what you want in the shops ever (selling plants from the garden district should be worth like 3-5 coins each since people in the town don't want to go to the garden district).

@Chuckster65 paying off citizens with Joy would be kinda OP imo since you can just get pills from the gate going into the town. Took me a while to notice that you can just pick up 3 pills every time you pass the gate; although that may just be on the one gate setup (the one with the pump station/guarded gate, not the honey gate/off to lunch gate).

I think this game would be drastically improved if there were some distractions, for a price. Like if you pay off a citizen with Joy or currency, they would start a fight and make the guards run to them, help you fit in, etc.

Not necessarily. The premise of the game is that you're trying to fit in to a world where nobody else is on your side. Unless there was like a secret downer house or something, paying off civilians to cause distractions would be inconsistent with the way the rest of the game plays

Great game for a alpha, but I would suggest slowing decay rates fro needs by 3-4 times, you gte 2 minutes of play before hunting for food

Absolutely adore this game, even with it's flaws, and major props to the Compulsion team because they've been really active on these forums, and I feel like they're really listening well to what we have to say. And a lot of this has been addressed, which is awesome, because I agree with everything @badboy said (and a few more things I've mentioned elsewhere, besides!).

Tiny, *tiny* concern, though - the "splatting" noise Arthur makes really takes me out of the tension in the game. It's clownish, and running is often reserved for the "oh crap!" situations, so it just kind of ruins the gravity of the situation.

@Chunkster65

This wouldn't really fit in with the game. I see what you're aiming for but the essential reason of the game is for you to fit in.

@Star

Took me a while to realize that if you just don't use Joy and run around town talking to people that you run by they don't seem to care / have time to get mad at you. They should probably fix that.

I'm pretty sure the devs did this on purpose. If you don't take your joy for a few minutes (after the previous joy duration is finish), you'll slowly raise suspicion.