Sign in to follow this  
Iothil

Permadeath ON/OFF

I find it pretty awesome that you have the option to play with or without permadeath, however, at this point I fail to see why you are given the option at all. Losing ALL your tomes on death when permadeath is off seems really a steep price for people who just want to play the game for the story. I tried it once, became reckless, ofc, after all what is the worst that could happen? This. I lost over ten tomes and ONE bottle of alcohol. The ratio of punishment in both these departments seems extremely off, especially as I rather use an entire line or column of my inventory upon death than all my tomes.

This is literally the core mechanic of Roguelikes ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike )

Permadeath gives you a different experience from games like Skyrim and Fallout by forcing you to weigh your risks more heavily. For example, in Skyrim, you can try robbing a house that's obviously too difficult because you know you can always reload. Roguelikes, on the other hand, force you to think more critically and spend a little more time casing places and maybe leaving a place alone until you have a Paradox device or something.

@jarek you obviously did not really get the point of my comment, mate. When there is an "easy" option that punishes you almost as hard as the only other difficulty, what is the point?