Sign in to follow this  
RicksterTheHipster

Who's playing on PERMA-DEATH?!

Just curious to see how many people are actually willing to brave Welllington Wells with only one life. I just died for the second time and I've only had the game for two days! Makes me wonder if I just suck or if this game is gnar to the max.

Permadeath is punishing and very interesting, but some of the survival mechanics (like "over-sleeping" then dying of thirst/hunger 10 secs after waking up GRRRRRRR) make me HATE THIS GAME... Not really. :) But for a small moment. Knowing the map changes every time adds sooo much pressure, and my second play through I even expanded my whole inventory searching ONE house. Playing this on perma-death is like betting all or nothing.. Its frightening lol.

So who's playing perma-death? Any regrets? Any complaints? ALSO: What is the longest you've survived?? Cheers!

I've only been playing perma-death. If it's too hard, try turning on second wind and leaving some healing balms in your inventory, water, and food.

I've yet to oversleep, but it seems pretty common. Devs might want to put in a "too hungry/thirsty to sleep" mechanic, where if you are at the 10/20% threshold, you cannot sleep and it wakes you from sleep.

Me too! The suspense is unreal, and I also feel like it's the way the game should be played. What does the second wind option do again? .-.

That's what I was thinking too. Some kind of warning system before sleeping or doing certain events would be greatly appreciated. But maybe the devs want a sense of "one wrong move and your screwed". But it would save some frustration imo

I am, on Xbox One and already have 12 hours logged into my play session, I love the idea of Perma Death, makes the game way more exciting and gets the adrenaline pumping at times! Its good to have the option though, hope to see multiple character slots in the final release so i can switch between a permadeath playthrough and a non permadeath playthrough to be a bit more bold :D

I've been playing Roguelikes for years, so permadeath is something I'm used to by now. Frankly I'm a little afraid of picking up a Roguelike game on Early Access, since 99% of the fun comes from the fair challenge and the extreme amount of balance a good Roguelike requires to be fun, but after the first couple of deaths I felt the game was at least on a base line very playable, and I just need to keep my eyes more open on future playthroughs.

@RicksterTheHipster - Second wind basically gives you another chance when you are in a bind. It's on by default, I believe. It just completely negates permadeath so long as you don't play too loose.

I agree with everyone permadeath is the way to go definitely adds more excitement but also makes you think about your next action like is it worth having to start the whole game over again?. But the best part is if you die you get to start a whole new game with different quests and what not. Once the game is fully released thee will be tons of differences between each playthrough. Also I find it kind of hard to die after I played through it once the only thing that has killed me is getting the plague early on and not being able to craft or find the right drug. Other than that food and water are readily available and once you get to the joy town (im horrible with names) you will find lots of not spoiled food and other goodies.

@CrisRo Oh ok, I thought I turned it on. It sounds useful.

I call it Joy Town too, I get it lol. Isn't it called Hamlyn?

I just get upset because it almost feels like I wasted a huge time investment! Perma-death on the full game is going to be outrageous. Think about being 75% through the story and dying!!

I played with Perma-Death first few times as I didn't realise you could have it off. I was getting so frustrated and nearly through my computer out the windows. Then my mate showed me you can turn it on. Now I love the game haha.

I love hardcore mode in any game, so yeah i am. But with all the bugs and slippery rooftops, im leaving second-wind on for now.

But, what nobody is talking about how broken second-wind is. Let me explain. I love the second wind feature, it allows me to be balsy in a hardcore game. Usually hardcore mode makes you a very prudent person. Second wind makes it so you dont have to. Thats great, since this is a videogame. BUT, since as long you have any healing with you and healing is super easy to come by, hardcore mode with second wind on feels super casual, it feels like playing Bioshock with vita-chambers on... lame.

A solution would be add limitations to second wind like making it only work once a day. This would make it so i can be daring, but after things go wrong i have to collect my ass from the ground and try again tomorrow.

Btw i dont find restarting the game frustrating at all, but then again, im very used to hardcore modes and have more free time than a 28 year old should admit.

@fromthewoods

That's a solid comment! I think second wind works the same way in hardcore and softcore mode, so it is crazy useful to the uninitiated.

I dunno how I feel about the vita chamber bit though, since they are essential to the story (the one unplugged in Andrew Ryan's office is fun to think about).

I get what you are saying, but they also served as a lore device. If you haven't figured out by now, I'm a stickler for lore ;)

@CrisRo Thanks! Im totally with you there, i was actually annoyed i couldnt use the shiny pods :( I guess gameplay just comes a tiny bit ahead for me.

The vita-chamber example was strictly gameplay related. Remember when it came out a lot of people got to the first Big Daddy, died, and realized they could just keep wacking him, and dying and repeat.

Its not like they meant to cheese the game. Was just something that happened because of how the vita-chambers worked, and it robbed those players of one of the most epic boss fights of their lifes.

This could happen here, agaisnt some really tough enemy like a red bobbie, or the apple tree encounter. As long as the player has healing.

@fromthewoods

Actually, I think I was 19 and not a big part of the online community when Bioshock was released on PC. I think we are about the same age, actually. If I had to guess, you might be a year younger or older at best.

I do get what you mean though. I just don't think we can really hold it against newer players to need second wind to get the full enjoyment out of the game - even if it is a bit cheap.

@CrisRo Huh, thats cool i think i was 19 aswell :D Ive never been much part of any community like this to be honest, i am a forums noob. I cant even figure out how to put words on bold or italic somehow, and posting a screenshot is still a far away dream.

But i usually read a lot about games i like and enjoy reading others peoples toughts on it. So thats where i got that from, i remember the lead designer said something like "its sad players try to play the game in the least fun way possible bla bla bla". But i think it was more a fault of the free revive game mechanic then people being cheesy. Make it need energy or have limited charges i dont know, you can save at any point god dammit :) haha. I just miss ink ribbons and stuff like that :(

And i agree 100% with you. I love the feature and im glad its there, not only for beginners and people who just want to enjoy the WHF world, but also for experienced hardcore players who want to feel on the edge there but still want to be able to explore the game world without having to be too careful.

I just feel that if second-wind doesnt have any limitations to it, it will take away the whole weight of permadeath.

But with all the bugs and slippery rooftops, im leaving second-wind on for now.

This is essentially why second wind was added in the first place. Permadeath is fine and dandy, but permadying due to getting stuck in geometry and getting mobbed to death is not. It might not even be a bug as much as a balance issue. Or perhaps, like you said, you just get a bit too ballsy and/or greedy and suffer from it. The idea was that at least Second Wind would give you a chance to recover from these scenarios.

Unfortunately, this also makes it hard to put limitations on the mechanic. We're trying to eliminate all bugs and imbalance so all deaths feel fair, but it's long road there. Until then, if we put a limitation on second wind like a cooldown, and the death that occurs during the cooldown happens to be unfair, the feature essentially failed.