Sign in to follow this  
FabulousPotatoSister

Sad Things In WHF

You can also call this thread, "I'm An Overemotional Mess Sometimes And This Applies To Creepy Games As Well".

My friends like to call me an angst monger. I kinda believe them.

I found a few things that make me sad in the game, through watching Let's Plays and reading theories because, sadly, I don't have enough money to buy the game.

One of the is the "It's a Terrible Life" quest, especially how it ends. I felt really bad for the couple there. George just wanted to help his Mary.

Another - oh boy - are Arthur's voice lines. Now, Arthur really needs a hug and some lines really prove that he does. Some of his takedown lines ("Please don't struggle.", "Look, it's not you, it's me.", "I know. Trust me, I know.") have just really made me want to hug the guy. The voice acting makes it worse; it's so good, and when I hear Arthur speak sometimes it makes me feel so bad. Kudos to Arthur's VA!

If you've seen some mood-dampering things in We Happy Few as well, feel free to post them here!

The entire Garden District in general is just full of sadness. They're the people who have been outcast because Joy has no effect on them, and in fact makes the memories worse on them. You'll often hear them stating things they remember. Or that they wish they'd have died in bombings or in other ways. You find homes with beds made up for children, but there are no more children. I often feel bad for taking everything from some of the houses. You've got the Cult of Jack, that desperately cling to Uncle Jack as their only link to the rest of society. The couple you can meet that had just gone Wakey, Wakey and you have to help survive against a rabid group of Wastrels. And heaven forbid you walk through wearing a fancy suit, the Wastrels come begging for scraps.

Arthut's voice is really strong for some reason. Even when he says something like "Night is comming in" for some reason that just gives me the chills.

I dont like taking from the simple folk either, but after a while you realize you don't need that much, and you can leave the poor folk alone and go rob the rich people. Who are not really guilty of anything, they are just taking their Joy. Exactly like all of us, escaping from ourselfs in entertainment, cause noone knows any better.

So everything is a bit sad really.

Oh no, fear not, I saved his wife by bringing her to the train station or whatever.

Now, this did however involve me banging her head a bit after throwing her on the ground every now and then to cuss out at George for dawdling picking up pennies or something or whatever the f he was doing as I was carrying his dying wife as he lags back with his lil suitcase.

And dont even start how I was in the wrong, I was dying of hunger and exhaustion while carrying his soon to be corpse of a wife (cmon, ynow I probably did it for nothing since she will likely die and if not, probably do herself in after hearing all George's whining. Remember, we got to leave the room, she didnt!)

while hearing my own heartbeat wane.

Question - but do we see this wear on our dear protagonist?

It's kind of sad, mostly silly, and some serious oversharing, but I was pretty heavy on anti-depressents after the passing of my fiancé. As I came off, everything had an associated memory that at first I didn't fully understand until time passed. She would text me every day between 9:00 and 10:00 after she woke up (she did some admin stuff as a part time job and it required later hours), and for the first few months I always felt sad around that time of the day until I realized why I was sad and was able to work through it after that point. Is something like this going to happen to Arthur as the game progresses? Memories are strong and in his situation, those floodgates (I can imagine) would be near unbearable.

@CrisRo, I'm so sorry for your loss. You also bring up a good point, though - the first part of working through grief is acceptance and understanding. Once you realized the issue, you could start working on it. I wonder if the game points that out on purpose - it points to soooo much of the PTSD/grieving experience (really the game is a video treatise on mental illness, it's affect on society, and how difficult it can be to face, and give in to, pressure to fit in). Arthur has to remember before he can start actually dealing with it. And passing on that first joy pill is the first step!

@Everyone thanks for the condolences, but that is life. More the point, it would be interesting to see his memories have more a more visceral effect than just a line or two of dialogue about lilies or wanting to have been on the train with him. I am sure everything is already fleshed out for this in the story though.

@CrisRo Well, sad things in WHF just became way less sad. Such a downer! Thank you for sharing :')

Have any thoughts on how to implement these mental disturbances as gameplay?

From my experience with trauma, what happened is i could be fine and dandy walking around, but then something triggered the memory or related thoughts, and then the feelings just take over the whole body, many times making my legs so weak as to make me literaly fall on my knees.

So i guess if a memory is triggered it could maybe cut most of your stamina bar until you are able to move on with your objectives and stop thinking about it. Or until you pop a Joy.

One of the most sad/disturbing things I have noticed has to be the Wastrels who walk around saying things like "it's me Mommy I've come home ..."

@CrisRo I really like the idea that Arthur could remember killing people. Maybe when you sleep at night Arthur has "dreams" of the murders or what if the dreams reveal more about the person you killed so you get to know them and feel even worse about it. It doesn't even have to have a direct impact on the story or anything just something to add to the immersion which they've done a great job with already. I mean I already feel bad killing people but something where he remembers would really be cool.

Pretty sure I picked up the corpse in the beginning of the game in the Safe House and threw it on my bed to go to sleep.