Sign in to follow this  
Babbleplay

Event question. Why? There is no XP/leveling up…

The events are Imaginative, and a lot of fun, but I guess years of gaming have conditioned me to expect some kind of XP or character building reward along with the QUEST COMPLETE message.

I like fact that there is no leveling system. Makes the game tough to play throughout. I like that the quests give you certain items or blueprints to better your character I feel like getting levels and a character build inevitably makes the game easier to play as your character gets stronger this way its all about survival and you get stronger by making better equipment.

i actually like it without leveling, we just have to improve our equipment.

hope they'll make more equipment in the future.

I wish to clarify to say I did not disparage the current system, merely said it was the opposite of what I was used to. Also, I had had the bad luck up to that point to have only done quests that didn't give much in the way rewards. Since then, I have gotten a few blueprints from some of my deeds.

I think it was just the luck of the draw of quests in the first part of the game in my earliest play through.

There's a way to sort of 'level' yourself through manuals you can find throughout the world. These give you special passive abilities and skills, such being able to carry bodies while moving fast, making it so sleeping reduces the depletion of thirst and hunger, or giving a boost to your stealth. There are also items such as Sanitol that can be used to raise your maximum health, with another to help with stamina.

Yea, ive been playing modded Fallout 3 Wanderes Edition just before getting into this game. And one of the things i didnt like was starting with a bad character and having to level up, cause then the early game was just gruesome, punishing and amazing, and after some levels it felt lame.

Honestly i want some de-leveling. You start out ok but since youre in a real bad spot you start to lose mind and body health, so you get weaker, having to do stuff like quests just to even youself out :)

@Babbleplay - yea I think it is pretty different, but I think it makes sense narratively. Arthus is just a guy who redacts articles, and the course of the game isn't very long from an in-world standpoint. You are only playing the game for a couple days in the game world, so I don't think it would make a lot of sense for him to "level up"

@fromthewoods honestly, imo if you are playing the game well, you should be GAINING effective strength from a journal/item/knowledge standpoint. Usually when I play I get more and more aggressive as I have more tools to fight/disengage, as opposed to getting weaker. Takes some practice, but its very possible to do

@lucigen I think you misinterpreted me, or maybe im not getting what you mean. I meant it would be nice to get weaker over time, not that its how i feel right now. I just feel super strong from the get go here, and all the books and gadgets make it even easier.

Oh yea, i can't read @fromthewoods. Honestly I think it makes sense for you to get a bit stronger, I mean you went from being drugged up and eating rancid meat to eating jerky and carrots and YAMS, and you aren't on drugs. I think it makes sense for you to be a little more powerful but I do think the game is a bit too easy right now. I think you need the books and gadgets to make you feel stronger, but maybe they can use hooks in the story to have points where the world around you also gets stronger. There are probably opportunities for effective "de-leveling" without making the player feel useless. Good thought though, might be worth bringing up to @Naila and the team