Sign in to follow this  
rainbowrosebacontoes

SUBTITLE IMPROVEMENT IDEAS

there are loads of issues with the subtitles and it was one of my major disappointments with the game, as someone who's hard of hearing here are a few of my suggestions on improvements that need to be made on the subtitles

1. labeled or color coded sounds: there are lots of different overlapping voices and noises in the game. if npc lines and quest lines were labeled by the character titles or organized in different colors or places on the screen that would really help with determining which subtitles we should be reading, currently if an unimportant npc walks past when you're talking to a quest giving character the npc lines will pop up and the quest lines dissappear, making things really difficult

2. i would LOVE to see subtitles for uncle jack. the detail and creativity that goes into his little programs are spectacular!!! they really set the mood but as someone who is hearing impaired i had to stop and listen over and over to finally understand what he was saying. it would be amazing to have subtitles for him

3. theres a lot of detail and small lines said by quest characters and by the main character that help to fill in parts of the story and set the mood of the game that aren't captured by the subtitles. when you revise the subtitles please remember that most big games (such as skyrim) actually tend to add more details and lines to the character dialogue subtitles to fill in information that can be missed either through tone or sound effects rather than shortening it down to the bare minimum

4. sound effect subtitles would be greatly appreciated. when revising the subtitles please remember that people who are hard of hearing miss out on critical information portrayed through the game music and sound effects. attack music, sounds that give off a creepy ambiance, or make the player feel more like the character are very important!

i know its a lot to ask for, especially since the hard of hearing aren't usuallly the first demographic that comes to mind for many games

but trust me, we notice and appreciate good subtitles more than you could possibly understand. it would mean the world to us to have this imput taken into account by the compulsion games team.

Thank you

• Like 1

Hey @rainbowrosebacontoes, I saw you posted in a few different locations so I'm taking the liberty of closing those to reply here.

Being hard of hearing myself (deaf from one ear, slightly under average from other), I want you to know I can actually relate quite well. I can follow game dialogue if I focus really hard, but that ends up being tiring and distracts me from the actual game. Not to mention with the heavy British accent some of our characters have, I had a hard time understanding our own game until we did a first subtitles pass!

We do want to keep the game as accessible as possible, so we'll definitely be improving subtitle functionality. What we have in place now is a rough first pass, more to prove that the functionality works than polishing it in depth. Uncle Jack definitely deserves subtitles, the lack of these right now is mostly due to technical limitations we'll have to work on.

I have an idea for subtitles, what if the subtitles themselves kind of appeared 'in' the 3d world around the person talking? Makes it easy to figure out who is saying what,

The only issue with this is that you have to actually be looking at the person talking to 'hear' them, which could lead to missing what some people are saying. perhaps a small indicator showing a direction that someone is talking in so you can look?

It's an idea I've been toying around with. Thought I'd share.

I fully support this idea and I would like to add:

I'd like to be able to choose different languages for the subtitles and the UI.

I have the UI in French but I like to have English subtitles.

Would it be possible to have an option for two sizes of text. I understand that people who need the subtitles more than I do would require bigger text, but I like the current size as its good to glance at rather than use it all the time.

It would also be good that when you are talking to a quest related NPC who is giving you some quest information that other background speech and subtitles is suppressed as at the moment it clashes.

I just want to add my voice to the chorus! I actually got teary eyed in frustration when I realized I'd not be able to know what Uncle Jack says, because I feel like that's a huge part of the game, and I can't hear him no matter how loud I turn up the volume.

Additionally, I'm having some issues with the subtitles themselves - when I look directly at a character the subtitles flash across the screen but disappear quickly enough I can't read them. If I'm looking slightly away this doesn't happen. I'm lucky enough I can hear at least some of what they said, but this frustrated me as well.

So glad y'all have already said you're working on this - it's awesome to feel heard! (pun so intended.)

@Camille its so good to know that there are people like you working on the game! its honestly really exciting to know that you're also hard of hearing and that you guys have more plans for the subtitles! i kind of figured that the current subtitles were just a placeholder until further revisions could be made.

i'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys wind up doing with the subtitle options and i'm so excited to finally get subtitles for uncle jack!