Sign in to follow this  
Muncha

v9820 Feedback

First off: Holy cow. Things... uh.... changed, somewhat. Wow.

I love the new area (wastrel district?). I spent quite a while wandering in circles before finding the door into the main town. Was a little worried for a while there! Eventually found the town proper and the previous starting area. I felt a weird sense of being 'home'.

The art in the new area is gorgeous, I'm really enjoying just wandering around and looking at stuff.

Double-click to craft is strangely satisfying, thanks Camille!

One slight oddity I've noticed is that when you double-click to use an item that's part of a stacked set, you end up holding the remaining items at the end.

Something slightly strange with the crafting for the hammer pipe, with the requirements being split up into 2 separate 1/1 lead pipes, a single lead pipe works for both and you can craft it straight off. I assume this is a placeholder for it requiring a lead pipe and something else?

Made my way through to the town and the game crashed straight off. Oh well. Hopefully that ended up with the details being sent back, I didn't see anything indicating that it was doing that.

I ended up having a hilarious fight on one of the bridges, where a bunch of the Wastrels attacked me while I was standing on the handrail. They can't hit you if you're standing up there, but one ran around and, once I'd beaten them about the head with a branch, fell off the edge into the water. Except that the corpse and weapon were just sitting on top of the water. I killed 4 or 5 more and threw them down there, just to make sure. The throw corpse physics works perfectly with respect to the handrail placement, you just kind of hang them out to dry over it.

I like the red flowers on the bushes, that's a really nice touch. Makes them easy to spot without being obvious and then means they're easily ignorable once looted.

My playthrough ended when I lured a couple of bobbies away from the bridge with the broken window, killed them and then died climbing through the window, noticed the screen dimming a bit but didn't check on my health, not sure what the heck was going on there. Didn't get to play with the Joy detector scenario either, so looking forward to seeing what was going on there.

Just finished my third play session and managed to get all the way to the hatch and out.

Still really entranced by the art style in the different areas. I'm really quite taken with it all. I quite like just wandering around the more abandoned parts of the game, it's really nice.

The empty cathedral was creepy as hell. It would be neat to trigger someone coming after you when you loot the locker that's there, perhaps.

The combat feels a lot more fluid. I love the combos, they're surprisingly hard to do when you're used to hammering the mouse, but it feels like the discipline is worth it. The entire game feels a lot more vicious now. It's slightly odd being able to hit multiple targets at once. Perhaps the hit should only connect with the first one that it hits (would make more sense given the idea of swinging a branch/pipe) which would make it much more important to pick fights carefully.

Bobbies seem a lot tougher now (more charge-happy?), but they still feel pretty easy if you get the timing down and get one on their own. It seems like maybe they need to blow a whistle or something when they're low on health which attracts any others in the area, just to make it a little harder to kite them away to a completely safe area.

I had an amazing experience where I kited a bobby away from the broken joy detector scenario and he saw some Wastrels and just went to town. There were maybe 8 bodies lying around him at the end, it was pretty impressive. Perhaps that is something that could be scripted in to happen randomly, have the wastrels path close enough to the bobbies that they get into a scuffle. He did end up just standing there, which made it quite easy to sort out that scenario.

Oddly, the hammer pipe seems a bit harder to use than the regular weapons because of the knockback/stun timings and stamina usage.

Being able to manage health kits and healing balm etc. from the paused game inventory screen makes it really easy to gather a heap of materials and then just tank through any fight you have. Perhaps a cooldown or the H1Z1 approach of healing items basically giving you a specific HoT per use could be an idea? Each usage of the balm means you heal 2% health per second for 10 seconds or something. Using a few of them could stack that up. That said, I still died by not getting to the tab button in time quite a lot.

I'm not sure what the proper 'procedure' for getting through the Joy detector is. I just scarfed down everything I could find in my inventory that contained joy and toddled on through. I need to go back and give it a shot while joy-less to see what happens.

I'm not sure if you've always been able to make the lockpicks etc. without a mechanical table, but that first page not needing one is great.

A few odd little observations:

- Right clicking items while looting doesn't add them to an existing stack in the inventory, like it seems they should.

- I still think it would be great figuring out some way to be able to swap places with items of different sizes (providing space permits, etc.) which could make inventory management a little easier.

- The sound of the old woman screaming when you're tagged as a downer is absolutely terrifying when you first hear it.

- The music that ramps up during combat could probably die down a little bit slower. At the moment, it dies away really quickly which sounds quite noticeable as well as kinda giving a 'you're safe' indicator. If it took a little longer (maybe 10-15 seconds) that would keep you nervous a bit, I feel. Other than that, I really like the effect that it gives.

- Some of the food effects seem a little odd. The mushroom decreasing your current health, for instance. Same thing with the stew, which could be understandable from the Wastrel district, but not the main town? Perhaps rename the wastrel version to 'Suspicious Stew' or similar!

- I miss my emergency yam. I didn't find any more of them.

One slight oddity I've noticed is that when you double-click to use an item that's part of a stacked set, you end up holding the remaining items at the end.

Yeah, that came and went as I bounced between right-click to use and double-click to use control schemes. I thought I'd corrected it when we switched to double-click for good, but apparently not. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll fix it!

Being able to manage health kits and healing balm etc. from the paused game inventory screen makes it really easy to gather a heap of materials and then just tank through any fight you have.

I'm planning to lock down usables in combat so that only those in the quick slots can be used (and quick slots cannot be changed). But I need to figure out a decent way to communicate this restriction through the UI first (likely just a message box of some kind) as well as decide what is considered "in combat" for these purposes. And yeah, healing items should likely have more intricate mechanics, ala Left4Dead.

I'm not sure if you've always been able to make the lockpicks etc. without a mechanical table, but that first page not needing one is great.

Yep, that's been the idea behind basic crafting. Stuff you can cobble together in the wild.

- I still think it would be great figuring out some way to be able to swap places with items of different sizes (providing space permits, etc.) which could make inventory management a little easier.

I have a very old shelved changelist where this was possible. But it's horribly confusing and error prone. What if I'm swapping to/from a holster or quick slot that has a different size? What if I'm trying to swap a completely enclosed 1x1 item onto a 1x2 item? There's room at the destination for the 1x1 item, but not at the source, and just showing a red drop highlight doesn't really sell the restriction. What if I'm moving a 1x2 item onto two 1x1 items vertically aligned? Shouldn't that swap both 1x1 items right away? etc. etc.

It's a rather complex UX case, and I do have some ideas for each of the aforementioned points, but there's still too many things up in the air about the inventory to commit the time to address all these eventualities.

- Some of the food effects seem a little odd. The mushroom decreasing your current health, for instance. Same thing with the stew, which could be understandable from the Wastrel district, but not the main town? Perhaps rename the wastrel version to 'Suspicious Stew' or similar!

That's just a side effect of not having all relevant status effects in. Poisonous stuff should give you food poisoning (who would've thought!) but that food poisoning effect should be more than just a ticking health debuff. I mean, food poisoning in real life makes you puke your guts out, feel starving and generally feel miserable, so that's probably what it should do! The current situation doesn't really make sense as it essentially lets you trade hunger for health damage, which is easier to heal.