Sign in to follow this  
excuseforjuice

Thoughts on the current build

I love the game so far - it's got so much potential and the aesthetic really sets it apart. I played for a while today and here are some thoughts:

The combat felt clunky at first, but once I figured out the rhythms, it was quite satisfying. I am not sure if the game is trying to be a more combat heavy game or a stealth game, though, because it kind of goes a little way on both. Is there plan for more ranged combat? I don't quite think it needs any, but I do think it would help if there was some kind of stealth takedown - even a one-time-use kind of dagger. Items are very rare in buildings, so I often feel pressured to kill just for loot. If that's the case, it would be nice if there was some way to get the jump on somebody.

I think my biggest problem so far was with the movement. I think a lot will be ironed out once the procedural generation is fixed, but I had a hard time getting up very small steps - I'd have to back up and do a running jump, which seemed unnecessary. Some windows were unresponsive to the "climb through" command, so I had to mess around quite a bit. One of the home designs in the main city has a kitchen with a big open window into the living room and lasers blocking the hallway; one would assume that they should climb through the opening, but it doesn't respond well and then when you get up top, you are crouching, so it won't let you fall off of the ledge. I think a more generous system that allows you to jump and crouch (and where crouching does not prevent you from falling) might be nice.

One more small problem I had was that a key in the meat shop wasn't allowing me to get into those doors and if it didn't do that, the key was useless.

I like all the systems in place and even the ones I haven't encountered, I'm very excited to. I like that things are vague and mysterious. All-in-all, I'm super interested! Keep up the fantastic work. I know this seemed critical, but only because I really want this to be great!

@excuseforjuice thank you :) It's a first pass implementation of the garden district, and in fact the whole metagame, so I'm glad you like it even at this early stage.

Combat: that's really useful feedback. We've noticed that first timers don't pick up the combo system so quickly, but it's really good to know that you picked up the rhythms (and @Muncha too, in his thread). We've been toying with making the non-combo combat just a bit faster, with the idea that it doesn't feel too clunky, but then you figure out the combos, and suddenly you're pretty awesome.

Ranged combat: yes there is, but probably not point and click (guns). More likely to be projectile. We haven't decided exactly what form that will take, but the rock is an early prototype.

Stealth takedowns: it was in the build, but then we took it out as it had a few issues with it that we weren't happy about. Agreed though - the game actually already has a stealth system, but we don't give you the best feedback on that right now. We'll hopefully implement this for the next update, but don't hold me to that.

Small steps: yes, agreed 100%. This is partly an Unreal Engine issue, and is quite complicated (hopefully @Marc will come in to explain this a bit better). We're undecided yet whether we fix this in code (allow you to walk up these things), or in art (try and reduce the number of small steps). We certainly do not want you to have to jump over them - jumping is dangerous, after all :)

Kitchen jumping: yes, we are aware of this. This is to do with the mantling, and the fact that if you do it right now you get stuck in the ceiling. However, you should already be able to jump and crouch - unless we removed this while I wasn't around.

Meat shop key: thank you, we changed this because previously that key was opening every door in every meat shop. We restricted it to the shop it spawns in, but maybe we got a bit carried away... feedback has gone to @Josh about that.

As for the criticality of your feedback, thank you. Constructive criticism is exactly what we want, because you guys need to keep us honest :)

There can be more than one meat shop?! (mind blown)

I think the idea of a stealth combat takedown type thing is an interesting one.

My schtick so far seems to be that I think killing should be minimized where possible in the main gameplay loop simply because it doesn't fit the setting. You're not Master Chief, you're a polite and slightly weedy english dude!

The idea of being able to get combat advantage on someone who doesn't know you're there is a good one, though. Perhaps implemented as something simple like a single clubbing from behind on an unaware person is enough to take them out? That would give you an advantage with respect to weapon degradation, too...

About the steps issue, these kind of problems comes with using a procedurally generated world, we still need to work on the connections between building and roads. We will adjust the controls so it's easier to go over small steps as there will always be some places where the metrics don't exactly match up.