Sign in to follow this  
moejartucci

Joy is ruining the game for me.

I recently made it across the bridge into the city with the rainbow road and am getting extremely sick of this game already. Whenever I take joy, it runs out in literally 30 seconds and I am forced to take more and waste all my supplies. For example, I step into a mood booth to take a pill without previously taken any joy (no withdrawal, hunger, thirst, or sleepiness). I step out of the booth, check my map to see where to go, take a few steps and am out of joy again.

While playing the game I'm more worried about carrying 15 canteens filled with water and anything else to keep the joy up than actually enjoying the game. Compulsion please fix this! I enjoyed the first area much more.

It sounds like you're only taking one joy pill at a time? Or at least not enough to keep you going. You can get to a certain point before overdosing on the stuff, and that'll go down gradually.

You must be exaggerating a teensy bit there, one Joy pill from nothing should last 1-2 minutes. You don't need Joy to make it through the game, though. Only key areas such passing through Spinners, or going through unchanged laser detectors and certain areas (like the work zone). The needs being negatively affected is supposed to negate the urge to take it, and if you plan to take it a lot you better have a lot of Joy-boosting supplies to keep the high going to avoid loss of vitals.

It's certainly not a requirement in Hamlyn. So long as you aren't running about, jumping, breaking into things where people can see you or picking fights you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting in.

The problem for me was not being able to find any tubes for the water filter recipe in town. I died quite a bit figuring out how to manage the joy system. Would have been nice to be adequately supplied in water filters to avoid relying on the tap water.

I just don't understand why I need to replenish my joy every minute. It just doesn't make sense. I'm stuck with filling half my inventory with canteens, tea, and coffee to drink every single minute or less instead of actually enjoying the game. It just seems like it is a bit much.

The reason it's so short is because it essentially stops your needs for the duration, but those needs catch up proportionally when you crash. If you spent 15 minutes on Joy, that'd mean 15 minutes of food and drink condensed in 1 minute of crashing!

We also want people to be able to have a decent amount of control over how long they want their Joy effect to be. This is easier if consumables give a small amount at a time.

That said, there's been enough feedback to that effect, so we'll look into increasing Joy duration without making it too harsh or imbalanced.

I'm on day 10 or 11 of my playthrough and agree that Joy doesn't last long enough. I also don't think the psychedelic effects are strong enough. For a game based around this drug, using it is quite underwhelming at the moment

@Trypno

Joy isn't meant to be a paychadellic. Think of it as super xanex. The purpose of joy is to repress bad memories and make someone happy.

Imagine throwing your parents in a furnace, because you had to survive. The memories of doing that would be pretty brutal. Fortunately, you had to and the good folks of the local government have a pill to make it all better.

Sorry my last response was incohherent. I can't manage to get the desktop version on my S7 and it won't allow me to edit from my mobile.

@Trypno You also have to remember that Arthur has been weening himself off Joy leading up to the start of the game. It's effect isn't going to be as strong on him as it is everyone else.

@Iris_Lockspur If anything though, that should mean Arthur should have a much lower tolerance to the 'Joy' than a normal Wellie that continuously uses it.

If anything this should make the effects of the Joy STRONGER when Arthur takes it, due to his lowered tolerance levels.

Ah, but you see, if it were stronger the intro wouldn't have been as shocking as it was. The reason Arthur saw a rat instead of a colourful pinata is because he's been slowly coming off of it. The others, it can be assumed, have been on a steady supply of the stuff and therefore saw nothing wrong with what it was they were doing. Even Victoria is seen just taking the Joy she found on the floor of Arthur's office.

This is also why he's more susceptible to overdosing. While others can take Joy in much higher doses, Arthur is only able to take a few pills before he starts reaching his limits. So in a way the effects are stronger. But not in the sense that they cause the strong hallucinations and perceived reality, and instead cause him to enter the state of 'forgetfulness' that is the overdose.

But I can tell you in the coming update that the effects of Joy will last longer, the minute that it has been is too short to make it useful in certain situations and should help to make it feel more realistic with the rules of the world.