Sign in to follow this  
hoodedthief

Skill tree

Something would be good. I hate having random items I'm unsure whether they will be useful for more than I can create now. I also don't like not knowing how to create the next new thing I don't have but want.

Okay, I don't think the game should have a skill tree, mainly due to how the skills that you can get in the game are designed to be rewards for looking around. The player should not just get a 'level up' bonus, and I love the idea of all the skills having random bonuses from the books. The game is meant to be randomized, and a skill tree would remove some of the RNG from the game.

I understand that but counter by saying that, at present, I had been wandering around for over 2 hours IRL to try and figure out how to either make or where to find a shovel. I wanted a shovel for dig spots- no dice. THAT was lame as I had no idea how, or which area to explore, would unlock it.

That's the point of looking around and knowing the town more, or rather to explore a bit more. Maybe the shops should have recipes, but at the very least yeah, the way how to obtain the shovel should be different. My point is, how things are set up and the character learns things should be random, and thus create more of a different experience. At the very least, have the different characters have different buffs/recipes.

The first area you're in after the prologue should never have shops. It's not a town. It's not even a neighborhood anymore. It's an oubliette in the most literal sense. At best, the random NPC that you can barter with using an item for item trade system might work, but for an NPC to recognize value they'd have to have the capacity for something other than screaming batshit crazy idiot nonsense.

It's perfect as it is right now once you come to understand its function.

I was talking more about the shops in Hamlyn, maybe could have a shovel. I am agreeing with you with the concept that finding a shovel should be hard in an area where like you said, "Not a town anymore". It's chaos.

I'm not a fan of the skill tree idea either. Exploring is a part of the game, hence the procedurally generated worlds. I wanted a shovel to dig for loot too but it didn't seem crucial to the main objectives. Through exploring, while doing the other quests, I have a good idea of where to find shovels now.

I think a large part of peoples gripes so far are their expectations based on other games instead of seeing this game for what it is. There is a learning curve to it for sure.

I dont want a skill tree. It can burden games far too much sometimes, and I think there is enough already to be getting on with.