Sign in to follow this  
SirGreenDay

How does the canteen work?

I know you fill it up at water pumps, but HOW?

I choose the FILL CONTAINER option, but the canteen never gets filled. At least I don't think it is.

How do you drink from it?

When I choose it in the inventory, I don't get a USE option.

That's where I'm lost.

Press and hold V on keyboard, if you're on console I'm not sure what the button is. It will fill it up and add it to your inventory as a full canteen that you can drink. You'll hear a filling sound and when it finishes the water stops pumping.

I have been having the same problem.

Canteen gives three charges(I believe it breaks once the charges are 3/3 {It is what happened to me}) Could be wrong here and kinda does not make sense to indicate depletion by counting up but whatever. Anyway,

I can fill the canteen but i cannot equip it in pocket slots to use by pressing F. Canteen not for drinking from?

P.S. I may have given my canteen away to an NPC.

Male, wears yellow-greenish jacket. No hat, no glasses.

@SirGreenDay

Have you tried drinking from the canteen without having Filtered Water in your inventory?

Im sorry, but most of you are not understanding my issue.

And to the mod, if you're going to be a mod, you should read and understand peoples questions.

I'm not trying to call you out, buy my question isn't complicated, yet you responded to something that had nothing to do with my question.

My question is how do you USE/DRINK from it once its filled?

I've tried using it when I had no water on me at all. The sane thing happens.

I highlight the canteen in my inventory but the ONLY option I get is to drop it.

Am I supposed to have an PRESS X TO USE option?

If I'm supposed to get this option then maybe its just a bug. That's fine, but I want to know what's supposed to happen.

I'm sorry if I sound pissed, I just get frustrated when people don't read the original post carefully enough and then reply to something totally unrelated.

To those who have tried to help I thank you very much.

Once you complete the Fill interaction, that canteen is replaced by water in your inventory. That item can then be used by pressing X like any other item. After you drink this water, it'll turn back into an empty canteen.

This can be obscured a bit by the fact that canteens are stackable. If you have a stack of 3/3 canteens in your inventory, then filling it will remove 1 from that stack and add 1 stack of water... And so on.

If you're not getting that behaviour, it could be a bug, but it'd be the first I hear of it. An easy, surefire way to test it would be to interact with a pump with only one empty canteen in your inventory -- after filling it, the canteen should be gone and replaced by a water canteen.